Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider rigging....pushing CRANKS out the front of the boat????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rigging....pushing CRANKS out the front of the boat????

I've done a LOT of trolling crankbaits like Bandits etc usually with 75-100 foot of line out the back of the boat. Now that I have front mounted rod holders I'm considering trying to spider rig those same cranks off the front of the boat.

For instance using a 200 or 300 series bandit on 10 foot and 12 foot BnM rods how much weight will I need to keep the cranks out in front of the boat? How fast do I need to run to make the baits swim right? I understand that the FISH might want different speeds and presentations but from a practical standpoint am I thinking right on this.....keep the bait in FRONT of the boat or would I be better off place my rod holders on the back of the boat and continue as I've done in the past?

Post Thanks / Like

I think that pushing has some advantages, but I'm still playing around with, "is it better?". I've had my best luck pushing, using a 4 oz. weight with a 300 series. I like the 300 because it's got a bigger bill, which helps in bouncing off of obstacles and will also run deeper than the weight. Obviously, it's much easier to hit your target depth this way, but it takes a pretty good rod and some quick wits when you run into a submerged tree top.

I've pushed in the 1.2-1.4 range, but I believe the standard is to be just fast enough to get em wigglin. IMO, it's just as much about the way it's being presented, the noise, and the fact that a big crappie sits higher on the food chain. I'm going to play around with downsizing and different types of cranks. One thing is for sure, you don't have to worry about depth charts when you push, put where you want it.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

2oz and kinda off to the side of bow so you don't get em back in trolling motor. I run just enough to make them wiggle good. Weight has a lot to do with what kind of pole you are using. I am just the opposite of Ff, I like to run 100 and 200 size when pushing and use the weight to control depth. Take off front hook and go 1 size larger on rear. 90% will be on rear hook. Have fun
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Just got done mounting my new rod holders today in the front of my boat for trolling iv;e got the same idea u have I had 3 rod holders x2 on stands for spider fishing but when July & August gets hear I start trolling 99% of the time by myself so i;m going to try to do everything from the front of the boat took down the spider rigs that were on the boat & put these new ones on thy will work for spider fishing and trolling.I;ll try to take a pic. of them tomorrow and post it here as a reply