Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Santee cats

Post Thanks / Like

Default Santee cats

This is my nephew with a few big cats he caught at Santee.Thought you all might like to see them..

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You can tell he is happy about the days catch. Great smile!
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

Santee has a great reputation for large cats. Lots of folks catch and release the big cats.

Post Thanks / Like

I think those were released into some hot grease.

Post Thanks / Like

Them Flaties is some fine table fare ain't they, crappiequeen. He did bring his Auntie a bag full, i hope...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redtick
    Lots of folks catch and release the big cats.
    I catch a lot of catfish each year, and I will not keep anything over 18 inches to eat. Tried cooking up a 22 lb. flatthead once, and it was the most god awful tasting fish I ever tried. I thought maybe it was just the flathead, so we tried cooking up a big channel catfish, again it was so nasty, I hate to say it, but the fish was wasted. The best eating catfish are the small ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flatheads

Quote Originally Posted by crappie66
    I catch a lot of catfish each year, and I will not keep anything over 18 inches to eat. Tried cooking up a 22 lb. flatthead once, and it was the most god awful tasting fish I ever tried. I thought maybe it was just the flathead, so we tried cooking up a big channel catfish, again it was so nasty, I hate to say it, but the fish was wasted. The best eating catfish are the small ones.
    That is unusual to me, what I have found flatheads taste fine all the way to 37 pounds so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie66
    We have never had that problem..But he soaks his filets before he does anything to them.Not sure what he soaks them in.But they always have a great taste.

Post Thanks / Like

if you get ALL the red off, and remove the complete lateral line, you will have some fine eating on any catfish big enough to put in the boat. its all in knowing how to prepare your catch for the table. if you leave the feathers on a chicken and fry it its probably not gonna taste good either..... theres a lot of folks around here that eat catfish fillets, steaks and nuggets. most of em ive talked to, including myself, rate the flat heads the best tasting, followed by the blues with the channels being the least tasty. all the small catfish, fish camp size, eat good.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't care what it taste like if you can go out and catch fish like that it looks like you would have a good day.
    A bad day of fishn is better than a good day at work. Thats what I have heard anyway.
    Looks like he had loads of fun good job.

Crappie X.
    IL board Moderator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast