Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Battery Chargers

Post Thanks / Like

Question Battery Chargers

I am in the market for a new charger. I do not leave my batteries in my boat i put them in my shed to charge them. Have been through a few chargers throughout the years with not much longevity from any of them. Looking to be able to charge more than one battery at a time if possible. Minn kota offers one (portable type) that will charge two at a time. Is it possible to use a on board type charger in my shed to charge batteries. Any help would be appreciated.
    You Just Can't Fix Stupid !!!!!!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes and the nice thing about them is you can plug them in and forget about it until the next time to use the batteries.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I have a guest ( in-boat mount style) 2bank (west Marine has them on sale just about every spring)-- I use unmounted in my shed for my TM batts. Have used it very often (2-3x a week), but only had it one yr, so I can not comment on long term use.. GUEST ChargePro Weather-Resistant Battery Chargers at West Marine

Post Thanks / Like

you can also use jumper cables and parallel charge (red to red and black to black etc.) I have two tractors and a bobcat in the barn they all hooked together on the maintainer mode of a wheeled 200 amp max charger made by napa 125.00 been doing it for years charger has 6 volt 2 amp, 12 volt maintainer , 12 v 10 amp , 12v 40 amp, and 12 volt 200 amp jump, settings and get 4 to five years out of all my batteries, built the barn in 02 had the charger prior still doing as it should and 125.00 is current price because I bought another for my boats in Nov.

Post Thanks / Like

I just use a cheapo from walmart, paid $25 for it, I only use the 12v 2amp setting, usually takes 12-14hrs to come to full charge, but One 175 deepcycle battery will last 8 hrs even in 25-30mph winds and I dont anchor.. had it since Jan 2010 still going strong
    "Kids who hunt and fish dont steal and deal"

2012 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2012 Buggs Bash Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 2 bank charger on sale at bass pro 6 years ago or better. It is a bassmaster charger but I think it is made by pro mariner. So I'm sure the pro mariers are good and think most of the store brands are made by them as well. If You get one, make sure it is 10 amps per bank. It will keep Your batteries alive for a longer time charging with the 10 amp per bank. The one I have, starts up at 10 amps and brings the charge up quickly and then just keeps an on to off service charge as needed. Plug her in, and leave her until next time.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your the info. Went to BP this morning and picked me up a ProMariner Pro Sport12 2 bank on sale for $119.97 normal $149.99. BP has got some killer deals going on right know. Got me two new batteries yesterday. Set on go just waiting on my fishing buddy to say she is ready to go. Hopefully soon. Again thanks fellows.
    You Just Can't Fix Stupid !!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the ProMariner 3-bank and love it.

Post Thanks / Like

the 84 bass boat I just got-- has an old BPS (promariner) 3 bank 5/5/5 just seems to be doing very well (I have used it very little)

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HeyCharlie View Post
    the 84 bass boat I just got-- has an old BPS (promariner) 3 bank 5/5/5 just seems to be doing very well (I have used it very little)
    Thats what I used for many years with no problems. I could fish all day and it would be ready to go the next morning.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va