Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fly rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Fly rod?

Guys maybe one of you fly fishermen out there could tell me what weight fly rod would have the same action as the old 10 ft bream busters that we used as kids. I still have a couple that I use fishing with a bobber. Also are the numbers stiffer as you go higher? Lots of old fly rods in this country just don't understand the weight thing. I want something a little stiffer than the old bream buster that I can use with a jig, and see alot of fly rods at pawn shops or garage sales.

thanks for any replies,

Rod

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not familiar with 10 foot bream busters but if you want a stiffer, slower action flyrod, then try a fiberglass. As far as I know, its not the flyline weight of the flyrod that dictates the action of the flyrod, its the material the flyrod is made out of and how the flyrod is made. Most fiberglass flyrods are stiffer and have slower action than graphites which are mostly faster action at the tip. Graphites and fiberglass have action ratings like IM6, and so on; or fast, medium, slow, and so on.

Flyline weight is only relevant to the flyline as far as I know (except for which flyline weight to use for which rod). The difference is that with a flyrod, the line is the weight, not the lure. Unlike conventional tackle where the lure is the weight and not the line. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by dixieangler; 05-02-2006 at 09:38 AM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Rod,

I'm not familiar with the action of the old Bream Buster, but you should have an easy time finding what you want. I'd say those poles were roughly equivalent to a 4-6 wt fly rod.

Yes, they are stiffer as the numbers go higher. Because they're stiffer, they require a heavier line to load them. The "weight thing" has to do with how much the first 30 feet of the fly line weighs. Based on that weight, the line is assigned a number, usually between 1 and 16. One weights are for very light freshwater situations (Sage has now put out an 0 weight and a 00 weight.) Twelve wts and up are usually reserved for BIG saltwater fish (tarpon, sharks, tuna, etc.) For most freshwater, 4-8 weights are popular.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Kevin. As flyline weight numbers get higher, flyrod thickness increases to compensate for the heavier weight lines but the actions (stiffness) may still be different at the tip of the rod. Flyline weight is based on the diameter of the flyline as far as I know (smaller at 1wt., bigger at 10wt.). The weight distribution of the first 30 feet of a flyline will be different depending on what type (configuration) of flyline is used, weight forward, double taper, level, etc. This does not mean that a WF will cast farther than a DT or L, just that the line weight configuration (distribution) is different for different purposes. This is my understanding of it.

Check these links out on fly rod actions and line configurations (they can explain it better than I can):

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/part2.html

From the diagram shown in the link below, it looks like a fast action rod is stiffer than a slower action rod (this may hold true for a rod of the same material) but looks can be deceiving, the material the rod is made out of must be considered (fiberglass or graphite). My fast action graphites will bend far more than my slow action fiberglass.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/part3.html

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/part5.html
    Last edited by dixieangler; 05-02-2006 at 11:19 AM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Dixieangler has given you some good links to check out. The lower the fly line the smaller the fly that you can throw. So something along the line of a 2-4 weight line is ultra light fishing and is great for small stream fishing and gills. 4-6 is more of a general use for trout and smaller fish. 6-9 starts getting into bass fishing size lures such as the bigger hair poppers and streamers. 9+ you are getting into salt water size lures and are not much fun to throw all day. The action of the rod is described by the actions of it such as fast to slow action.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!