Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HB power issues

Post Thanks / Like

Default HB power issues

I know this is not the right spot to ask this, but my thought is I'll get a quicker answer from Alabama brothers than under the electronics page.

Here goes: my depth finder works fine, for a while. Seems like when the aerator kicks on or something else is powered up, the HB shuts down. I suspect I'm running it off the same circuit that has the bilge pump, aerator and probably the nav lights off of. So, I'm going to run power straight from the battery to the depth finder. Question is; should I run it from my start battery (which will draw large current to start the motor) or run it to one of my trolling motor batteries? I need to get this solved as I'm constantly having to re-power it up after something kicks in for a little while.

Thanks,

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Run it to the starting battery. Make sure to put a inline fuse between the battery and the depth finder.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

you can try running it from your trolling battery,,,Just be sure to use a in line fuse next to the battery
    Darrell Keil
    Wheeler Lake
    Shoalscrappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

hey scott,, we must have been typing at the same time, either way use a fuse
    Darrell Keil
    Wheeler Lake
    Shoalscrappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, and you can bet I'll have it fused; would be silly not to, not to mention an expensive lesson I don't need right now.

strmwalker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tellicorick View Post
    . Seems like when the aerator kicks on or something else is powered up, the HB shuts down.
    with what you are saying it sounds like one of your trolling motor batteries is bad or going bad just had the same thing happen to my fishing buddy's boat and it was a bad battery!!!he had a 24volt system don't know if your is same?

"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday"
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point. "AMEN"

Post Thanks / Like

strmwalker

The batteries, 2 trolling and 1 start, are less than a year old. I know they can go bad in a short period of time, but I think my problem exists because the Humminbird appears to be on the same circuit as the bilge pump and the aerator, because when the aerator comes on (auto timer) it kills the Humminbird. But I'll have the batteries checked out where I bought them just for good measure.

Post Thanks / Like

Your bilge, aerator. etc.... are probly hooked to your starting batt to start with. I would try the trolling batts.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It really should be on your cranking battery, it is wired into that circuit and with most newer finders they have a min voltage to operate. It only takes I minute drop below that to shut them off. I sure would run a dedicated circuit with a larger wire from battery to depth finder then solder and heat shrink your connection.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

sound like a amp drop. run a dedicated wire for sonar off crank batteries. you can run from trolling but you may or may not get interference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast