Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Line - Need Help

srmaczka Guest

Default Fishing Line - Need Help

Hello everyone, this is my first post as I'm brand new, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I've been snake bitten by the fishing line that I've bought. I've spent quite a bit of money on line that really stinks. My biggest problem is on my open-faced reels, I keep getting these bird's nests and end up having to cut the line and reconfiguring my rig only to get another bird's nest. Can someone please give me some advice on good fishing line that won't do this to me? Thanks for your help in advance

Post Thanks / Like

It may not be the line. You might have too much weight on it. a smaller line will unspool with a heavy lure when casting. Your reel might be too big for the line too. What type of set up are you using? and line weight?

Post Thanks / Like

I dont buy expensive line...And my open face rods never do that..Are you sure that its not the way that you are throwing it?

srmaczka Guest

I have an abu garcia 308 that I use 6-8lb test with a half of a night crawler on the end with a couple of small snap shots and a bobber rig. Usually this catches me some nice crappies or bass. I didn't think that the rig was too heavy.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

You Are Prolly Winding The Line The Wrong Direction When You,re Putting It On The Reel---the Spool Should Lay Flat On Floor With The Line Coming Off In The Same Direction As The Bail Is Turning
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

srmaczka Guest

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, they rig shouldn't be too heavy. I would have to agree with frank then, my fishing partner did the same thing a couple weeks ago and he almost threw his rig in the lake!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You can eliminate most of that by getting into the habit of manually closing the bail just before the bait hits the water. Its a little awkward at first but once you get used to it, you do it without even realizing it. And like someone else said, be sure it is spooled on correctly.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

One of the biggest problems people have with open face reels is they put too much line on. Never fill the reel completely. Leave a minimum of 1/8 of an inch from the top of the spool and preferably a little more.
    When you fill the reel, lay the spool flat and start winding a little with some tension on the line with your fingers. The line should come off the spool the same direction it goes on the reel. After doing this a little, lower your road trip towards the spool and see if you line starts to twist. If it does, turn the spool of line over and reel up some more. Keep doing this until you reel is filled to within a 1/8 inch and you should be good to go.
    Good luck
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

to get rid of line twist take everything off your line (sinkers,hook,bobber) put end of pole in the water troll along till all the line is off the spool then reel the line back in with line inbetween your fingers for tension

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast