Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Way off topic

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Way off topic

I have 23 pine trees in my front yard and so far 3 of them have died. Any ideas as to what could be causing this?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

try this it might help you out.Or I hope it does..http://www.treehelp.com/trees/pine/pine-iandd.asp

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Ibn ..........

what kinda "pine" trees are they ?? The "beetle" has done some real damage to the pines around Watts Bar Lake (E. TN) and up I-75 !! You might want to check with a local nursery, or your DNR ... 'cause if it's the "beetle", the other trees are in serious danger ! ........... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I have 23 pine trees in my front yard and so far 3 of them have died. Any ideas as to what could be causing this?
    ants got 2 of mine. I heard an adverisment on the radio for a bug treatment for trees. cant remember the name of product:o

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    what kinda "pine" trees are they ?? The "beetle" has done some real damage to the pines around Watts Bar Lake (E. TN) and up I-75 !! You might want to check with a local nursery, or your DNR ... 'cause if it's the "beetle", the other trees are in serious danger ! ........... cp
    Haven't seen any beetles.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN

Personally, I'd try to find a better poison. (Just joking.) Pine trees deal me some misery in the Spring. I've been told that you can thin out the dead trees and this may halt the beetles. Down south, Pine Beetles would be the most likely culprit.---Pooch

Post Thanks / Like

I've been in this house for over 20 years and no problem (except for Isabel) until now.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need more information

Are the trees twenty years old or were they already established when you moved there?
    What type of pine?
    How does the damage start?
    Have you had an extended drought? (I don't know where you live)
    We have trouble up here in Ohio from pine bark beetles. They, like most insect pests are from Asia, thanks to the "global market". Telltale signs are globs of resin near a branch/trunk junction and terminal shoot die-off. My older trees are able to survive them, so that may not be your problem. . - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Sothhern Pine bark beetles will kill every pine tree in thier path. The only way to kill them used to be a top to bottom treatment with diazinon(spelling). When i was in high school in central louisiana they used to cut buffer zones I think 100 yards wide past the last infected tree to keep the bugs from infecting any more trees. That has been a long time ago but I remember seeing acres of timber layed down.

Good luck with your problem.

Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    Are the trees twenty years old or were they already established when you moved there?
    What type of pine?
    How does the damage start?
    Have you had an extended drought? (I don't know where you live)
    We have trouble up here in Ohio from pine bark beetles. They, like most insect pests are from Asia, thanks to the "global market". Telltale signs are globs of resin near a branch/trunk junction and terminal shoot die-off. My older trees are able to survive them, so that may not be your problem. . - Roberta
    I'm not sure what kind of pines they are. I first noticed the problem when I seen chunks of bark coming off them. Now a lot of bark is coming off.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast