Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: carpal tunnel surgery

Post Thanks / Like

Default carpal tunnel surgery

IM having trouble with left hand and have been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome....How long is the recovery time and how well did you recover if you have had surgery?
    living life to its fullest, This is not a dressed rehearsal.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested in the answers too. From what I've seen from people I used to work with it didnt help those folks at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Me too. I'm headed there. I have had several shots in my left hand, sheet hurts too.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had both hands worked on , one with a straight cut, the other had the s curved cut. You will regain feeling like you won't believe. If you pay attention to the doctor you'll heal and be back after most everything in a month, The first two weeks are not all that plesant but it goes by pretty quick. DO NOT have both done at once. You will not be able to zip or unzip with the hand the first week. I woould reccomend having it done and would have it done again if needed.
    I seem to have aged some sense I had my hands worked on and the muscle deteriation in the body has allowed the hands to hurt like old folks do and I would not blame any of the aches on the surgery. Just do like the doctor says and don't try the macho stuff or you will regret it down the road.
    Good luck with your decision, you have to live with it.I had mine done 20 years and no regrets except trying to rush the healing. Ferdi aka Fred

Post Thanks / Like

I've had both hands done and don't regret it one bit. The relief is immediate. It's been almost 20 years since I had the left one done and about 9 or 10 since the right hand. There was a definite change from the first to the second time. Incision was smaller (base of palm about an inch long) and recovery time was shorter. The best tool for recovering grip strength was squeezing a rubber ball.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Crappie Stalker View Post
    I've had both hands done and don't regret it one bit. The relief is immediate. It's been almost 20 years since I had the left one done and about 9 or 10 since the right hand. There was a definite change from the first to the second time. Incision was smaller (base of palm about an inch long) and recovery time was shorter. The best tool for recovering grip strength was squeezing a rubber ball.
    This sounds exactly like me. The 2nd surgery had a much shorter recovery time. No regrets here either. The people who have the most problems are the people who leave it go too long and have permanent nerve damage or the folks who don't follow the doctors instructions during recovery. I should have had both hands done 20 years ago but left my left (2nd) surgery go for 10 years. I still have a little numbness in my finger tips from nerve damage. It's not a real problem but I do regret waiting so long. Like stated earlier the surgery is much easier now than it was 20 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Had developed "mechanic`s thumb' where my left thumb would "lock" closed. Was able to get the 3 cortizon shots and that "fixed it". Now having the same problem with the right, and if i`m not careful it will bring tears to my eyes. I absolutely DISPISE shots, but it`s getting time to "bite the bullet again". I really LOVE how they try to tell me "You won`t feel this needle getting jabbed 3/4th" into your painful joint"...REALLY ? PROMISE ?