Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Deep water bass fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deep water bass fishing?

This board is slow so here is something that I think is interesting. I saw some fish on the bottom in 53 foot of water so JLT and I dropped our jigs into them. JLT hooks a fish and as he is reeling up I hook one. Thinking we just got a double walleye we bring them up and each have a bass. I don't spend a lot of time bass fishing and have never caught one that deep, is this common in the winter?

Post Thanks / Like

Done the same thing on Tablerock years ago,Bass and Crappie was schooled together in 50 ft of water.

Post Thanks / Like

HOLY CRAP! Do you ll got big azz spools on your reels? I don't have that much line on ANY of my rods lol
    Good question though!

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Tie on a Alabama rig like the rest o the guys down there and on Pomme. They have had over 28 lbs in the last month for winning weights in tournaments throwing the A-rig.

Post Thanks / Like

Were those blacks, spots, or Kentuckys, Tom. That depth would make me think spots or Kentuckys.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats pretty deep. That warm front that came threw may have pushed em a little deeper to help regulate the swim bladder

Post Thanks / Like

We catch the Kentuckeys all winter and the heat of summer deep jigging on Table Rock the last 20 years.
    Take a salt and pepper gitzit with 1/4 oz. head, find fish on locator in 35-60 fow suspended, drop down to them. You will see a line on your graph coming up to your lure, set your feet, you're about to get hit. You can fish this pattern summer and winter like clockwork.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried the same thing on longview this past Saturday. Couldn't find fish in less than 25ft, most were down 40-55. Couldn't get a bite down there. Don't like bass, but I could see where it would be a good workout reeling them in from that deep.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hardhunter2 View Post
    HOLY CRAP! Do you ll got big azz spools on your reels? I don't have that much line on ANY of my rods lol
    Good question though!
    Regular sized reel with Power Pro 10/2 fully loaded! Now JLT he get's hung up some so I put a 1000 feet on that line counter reel of his!

Jiggin 15
    Never used an A rig but reeling up 28lbs at once is something I would like!

bwillaub
    Pretty sure they were Kentucky's although I really did not look at them all that good.

smcfrln
    Good thought and probably true, the crappie were deeper then they had been too.

moskeeter56
    Good to know if I am on the rock and not catching crappie, I will try and see if I can find some and catch them.

mduncan62
    It certainly is a good reeling work out!

Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

When you catch them that deep, bring them up slowly or they'll get the bends like a diver. Table Rock fishermen do well fishing deep water.