Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would spider rigging benefit me?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Would spider rigging benefit me?

As I've posted recently, I feel I'm having pretty good luck on the pond/lakes in my neighborhood. On good days I can catch 10-20 nice sized crappie in a couple of hours. What I'm doing is I'm running 6 ultralight spinning combos (5' rods) on Driftmaster rod holders. I run three down each side, but all three are in the front half of my little 10' Bassraider pond boat. I use 1/16" jigs with a 1/4 oz bullet weight about 18" above the jig. I'm using 4 lb mono line and a 4 lb flouro between the jig and the bullet weight. I use my trolling motor to troll through areas. I don't run it continuously, I bump it. Once I find them I can usually work on them pretty well. What advantages would a spider rig setup give me over what I am already doing? I love catching the fish on those little ultralight combos.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing. Keep doing what your doing if your catching them. What ever is comfortable and easiest to fish.
    Take you kids fishing today!!! They will be grown (and married and have children of their on) tomorrow. Then you can take your GRANDKIDS!
    Podunkideas Pro Staff
    Cornfield Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Reeling in fish is fun on long poles too. But it sounds like your doing fine without them.
    "i only like to fish when i am by myself or with someone"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonboatfisher View Post
    Reeling in fish is fun on long poles too. But it sounds like your doing fine without them.
    See you are in Cairo. I live up the road in Tifton.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think that there is much difference in what you are doing than spider rigging. keep it up . If you are catching you are doing it right .

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I'm gonna keep on doing it this way then. Wish I could fish more often....

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to catch more fish and bigger fish I would buy longer poles and spider rig out the front of the boat. 12 foot rods or longer help to get your baits away from the boat spooking less fish in shallow water and in deeper clear water. I personally use proangler 12ft rods great sensitivity and a strong backbone to hall in slabs. Look at it as another technique you can add to your arsenal! Good luck.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Well...it does give me an excuse to buy more gear. I'm very susceptible to that.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Scott said, another technique to add. Personally, I want to learn all the techniques I can. I prefer to fish rod in hand, but I have found that every technique I have tried has its own appeal, including spider rigging.
    "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world."
    John Winger

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It ain't broke, does it need fixin?
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast