Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider rigging.....long poling......recognizing hits.....fish on???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rigging.....long poling......recognizing hits.....fish on???

I've been doing some reading on this site and on others about spider rigging...long poling etc. I've never done it before and wanted to give it a try so I purchased two 3 rod holders and 4 BnM rods....two 12 foot rods and two 10 foot rods. I understand how to rig my lines and I understand how to go about slow trolling so I don't think I have any issues there. BUT....I've seen several comments and references to learing to recognize when a fish is biting or when a fish is on with those long poles. I can see that if I'm pushing 12 foot poles and is using a heavy weight to keep the bait/jigs vertical that it might be tough to see soft strikes but how tough can it be to see when a fish is on.

What I'm asking for is what tips can you folks give me before my first outing.

Post Thanks / Like

90% of the time you will know it for sure. Sometimes you just see the line move sideways or get a little slack. Thats when it helps if you got Hi-Viz line.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    90% of the time you will know it for sure. Sometimes you just see the line move sideways or get a little slack. Thats when it helps if you got Hi-Viz line.
    DittoThumbs Up It helps if all your rod tips re set even about a foot (or less) from the water. Having 'em all set even then youll notice one slightly down or up from the rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Like gabowman said,have the rods at the same distance from water,the way my acts if the fish any size at all,you will see the tip going down toward the water,or see the line jerk or take off another direction. Now that is a good sight to see,especially 3 or 4 tips going down at once.
    LittleJohn

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't speak about riggin with weights on, like a capps and coleman rig, as I use jigs and super slow speed instead. With just a jig, up to a quarter ounce, on the end I can see changes pretty easy. I have to watch for a kink to show, or slack to show, if they don't hit and run. If they suck it in and thump it good the rod tip jumps and stevie wonder could see it. I don't have to watch a particular line but just in the general area of the majority of the rods to notice one that isn't like the others. You'll do better with a little practice. It's great when 3 out of 4 rods go down within seconds, and it's fun to watch it in someone else' boat. Chinese fire drill. never enough hands.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I started pushing cranks last year and like the depth control factor by having them in front with a 3 oz weight. Never had a problem noticing a hit. They absolutely hammered them. At the very minumum, the line took off in another direction and it wa very noticable. Part of the fun of this is trying new techniques and seeing what works! good luck!!!
    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day!

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use a red bead in between the tip and the first eyelet. Too many times, I'll be looking at the sonar or GPS, or "scenery", and I'll hear the bite before I see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    It's great when 3 out of 4 rods go down within seconds, and it's fun to watch it in someone else' boat. Chinese fire drill. never enough hands.
    THAT made me laugh...sounds like tons of fun.

Thanks for all the great replies folks.....I didn't figure it could be too complicated but I've noticed on other threads where folks mentioned having to be told they had a fish on..etc..etc. Made me wonder if I was missing something.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL...usually that's from talking too much and not paying attention.

Post Thanks / Like

X2
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    90% of the time you will know it for sure. Sometimes you just see the line move sideways or get a little slack. Thats when it helps if you got hi-viz line.
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast