Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help selecting colors for lures and jigs. just getting started.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help selecting colors for lures and jigs. just getting started.

i need some help with some basic and solid lure and jig colors for setting up tackle boxes for crappie and panfish. i fish from the bank and carry most stuff in my back pack so i need to keep it somewhat simple. i need to start getting everything set up and ordered before the bite gets hot. what are some tried and true or go to colors? looking to get best possible colors or combos and keep everything simplified in my pack. anything from small lures to jig and grubs/tubes ect. i am big time ice fisherman, but dont fish much for them during soft water. but im going to start trying this year. even brands or what to get will help. i have an idea but would like some input from the veterans.. thanks guys!!

Post Thanks / Like

There are many great baits and a lot of times I don't think it matters. I really like the Bobby Garland baby shad. The lake I have been fishing has had a lot of color to it and we have been doing really well on the cajun cricket (yellow/orange)color. I would have to say my favorite and the color I have the most luck on is black/charteuse. Get some 1/16 oz jig heads. That is a good all around size. Hard to go wrong with the baby shads.
    "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the black body and chartruese tail, that's hard to beat I use it with a red head. That is my all time go to bait.

Eatin ain't cheatin
    Eatin Ain't Cheatin

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Blk/char - green/char - solid chartreue - solid pink - solid white - blue/char ... and you should be good to go.

You might also want to have a few 1/16oz "Roadrunners" (solid chartreuse marabou) along Thumbs Up

I'd also recommend having some 1/32 & 1/16oz jigheads in the "weedless" variety ... or else be sure & carry a extra spool of whatever line you're using Rofl
    I recommend the Y-guard style weedless jighead, custom made by Grousefly (Paul Mullins of P&S Custom Tackle) who's a site member. And there are other site members that make the same jighead, as well as various other types (as does Grousefly). Our site members can custom make jigheads, with hook sizes/colors/styles & head weights that you usually can't find on a store shelf. And 99% of the time, they're made better & will last longer than some mass produced commercial brands.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the help guys! i got so much stuff for ice fishing verticle through a hole. and im used to walking anywhere on the lake i want. that and i use a flasher and it makes it pretty easy to catch fish. but open water i feel more limited esp fishing from the banks and i know they will take larger lure and baits. thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like

I bank fish a lot too. I usually use 2-3 rods; one for casting and the other(s) with a slip bobber. I put more thought and effort into the casting...but it's the bobbers that catch the most fish. Under the bobber it's just a plain hook with a sliver of fish from yesterday's cleaning. With the casting jigs I follow the basic rule of dark lure on an overcast day and a bright lure on a sunny day.

Post Thanks / Like

Default color

Quote Originally Posted by Smoltz View Post
    i need some help with some basic and solid lure and jig colors for setting up tackle boxes for crappie and panfish. i fish from the bank and carry most stuff in my back pack so i need to keep it somewhat simple. i need to start getting everything set up and ordered before the bite gets hot. what are some tried and true or go to colors? looking to get best possible colors or combos and keep everything simplified in my pack. anything from small lures to jig and grubs/tubes ect. i am big time ice fisherman, but dont fish much for them during soft water. but im going to start trying this year. even brands or what to get will help. i have an idea but would like some input from the veterans.. thanks guys!!
    N,S E or W you have to have some baits with green chartruse in them. you can take that to the bank!

Post Thanks / Like

I caught crappie today on marabou jig, chartreuse head, green body and white tail. and on a pink jig head tipped with a fathead under a bobber.

Post Thanks / Like

Bobby Garland baby shad in white or blue ice 1/16 jig in deep water 1/32 in shallow water!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just get ya 1 of these and some floats and stick em in the pack and go fishin
    Cabela's: Southern Pro 351-Piece Trollin & Pullin Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast