PDA

View Full Version : Need help selecting colors for lures and jigs. just getting started.

Smoltz
02-24-2012, 08:00 PM
i need some help with some basic and solid lure and jig colors for setting up tackle boxes for crappie and panfish. i fish from the bank and carry most stuff in my back pack so i need to keep it somewhat simple. i need to start getting everything set up and ordered before the bite gets hot. what are some tried and true or go to colors? looking to get best possible colors or combos and keep everything simplified in my pack. anything from small lures to jig and grubs/tubes ect. i am big time ice fisherman, but dont fish much for them during soft water. but im going to start trying this year. even brands or what to get will help. i have an idea but would like some input from the veterans.. thanks guys!! :fish

BGCrappieCatcher
02-24-2012, 10:06 PM
There are many great baits and a lot of times I don't think it matters. I really like the Bobby Garland baby shad. The lake I have been fishing has had a lot of color to it and we have been doing really well on the cajun cricket (yellow/orange)color. I would have to say my favorite and the color I have the most luck on is black/charteuse. Get some 1/16 oz jig heads. That is a good all around size. Hard to go wrong with the baby shads.

Shallow Runner
02-24-2012, 10:11 PM
I agree with the black body and chartruese tail, that's hard to beat I use it with a red head. That is my all time go to bait.

Eatin ain't cheatin

CrappiePappy
02-25-2012, 02:00 AM
Blk/char - green/char - solid chartreue - solid pink - solid white - blue/char ... and you should be good to go.

You might also want to have a few 1/16oz "Roadrunners" (solid chartreuse marabou) along Thumbs Up

I'd also recommend having some 1/32 & 1/16oz jigheads in the "weedless" variety ... or else be sure & carry a extra spool of whatever line you're using Rofl
I recommend the Y-guard style weedless jighead, custom made by Grousefly (Paul Mullins of P&S Custom Tackle) who's a site member. And there are other site members that make the same jighead, as well as various other types (as does Grousefly). Our site members can custom make jigheads, with hook sizes/colors/styles & head weights that you usually can't find on a store shelf. And 99% of the time, they're made better & will last longer than some mass produced commercial brands.

... cp :cool:

Smoltz
02-25-2012, 10:47 AM
thanks for the help guys! i got so much stuff for ice fishing verticle through a hole. and im used to walking anywhere on the lake i want. that and i use a flasher and it makes it pretty easy to catch fish. but open water i feel more limited esp fishing from the banks and i know they will take larger lure and baits. thanks for the help

bdorman
02-25-2012, 12:14 PM
I bank fish a lot too. I usually use 2-3 rods; one for casting and the other(s) with a slip bobber. I put more thought and effort into the casting...but it's the bobbers that catch the most fish. Under the bobber it's just a plain hook with a sliver of fish from yesterday's cleaning. With the casting jigs I follow the basic rule of dark lure on an overcast day and a bright lure on a sunny day.

barmstrong07
02-25-2012, 03:12 PM
i need some help with some basic and solid lure and jig colors for setting up tackle boxes for crappie and panfish. i fish from the bank and carry most stuff in my back pack so i need to keep it somewhat simple. i need to start getting everything set up and ordered before the bite gets hot. what are some tried and true or go to colors? looking to get best possible colors or combos and keep everything simplified in my pack. anything from small lures to jig and grubs/tubes ect. i am big time ice fisherman, but dont fish much for them during soft water. but im going to start trying this year. even brands or what to get will help. i have an idea but would like some input from the veterans.. thanks guys!! :fish

N,S E or W you have to have some baits with green chartruse in them. you can take that to the bank!

Smoltz
02-26-2012, 08:58 PM
I caught crappie today on marabou jig, chartreuse head, green body and white tail. and on a pink jig head tipped with a fathead under a bobber.

cub48
02-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Bobby Garland baby shad in white or blue ice 1/16 jig in deep water 1/32 in shallow water!!

huntinslabs
02-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Just get ya 1 of these and some floats and stick em in the pack and go fishin
Cabela's: Southern Pro 351-Piece Trollin & Pullin Kit (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Soft-Baits/Kits|/pc/104793480/c/104772780/sc/104423580/Southern-Pro-351-Piece-Trollin-Pullin-Kit/741034.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishi ng-soft-baits-kits%2F_%2FN-1100348%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104423580%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat1047 93480%253Bcat104772780&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104772780%3Bcat104 423580)

throwback
02-27-2012, 08:25 PM
I catch a lot on the Tennessee shad color curly tail jigs.

bxn
02-28-2012, 04:21 PM
for casting,id recomend gettin a few strike king bitsy pond minnow crank baits in different colors.also some of the same ice fishing lures you have will work in open water.i don't ice fish,but in the recent few days i started making small ice spoons i plan to use in open water. colors i recomend are fire tiger,sexy shad,Tennessee shad,charteuse/white,orange,yellow,black,blue/white

Smoltz
02-28-2012, 08:29 PM
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww42/iceshanty13/Fishing%20in%20general/mailgooglecom.jpg guy if you check my other post about finding baby blue gill in the stomachs of my crappies, these were some of the fish they were in. thanks for your help!

kincade
02-29-2012, 05:14 PM
my go to's are chart/balck, red/pearl, orange/chart.

TheRevolution
03-01-2012, 11:18 AM
My go to color is hot pink. I tried it out last year and it was a solid producer all year long. My favorite bait still is a feather jig with just a plain old curly tail grub at a close 2nd. 1/8-1/32oz sizes depending on conditions. If you havent tried hot pink give it a shot when nothing else is working. It has worked great for me.