Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New member question = Lake Visitor

Post Thanks / Like

Default New member question = Lake Visitor

New Member, I Mostly bank fish with my adult sons (not overly successful) we all are fairly new to the whole fishing thing but, it is a great way to spend some time together. We are going to Kentucky Lake for our first annual week long fishing trip. We will go with a guide on day one to learn some more about the lake. We will then be able to rent a boat and get out on the lake ourselves.
    Question

I was looking for insights on how the weekend warrior can avoid creating any problems re: someones fishing spot.

Common courtesy would go along way I'm sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Best rule of thumb is to keep your distance. If you see a boat with rods and lines hanging off the back, stay at least 150 feet off his stern; he's long-lining and his baits might only be 6 feet deep, even 100 feet behind the boat. You don't want to get his lines caught in your prop any more than he wants you to.

If the boat has rods and lines off the front, he's spider-rigging (his rods are fanned out like a spider's legs) and he has limited manueveriblity. Take a path that doesn't require him to change direction.

If a boat is stationary, gun your motor for all it's worth and speed by him as closely as you can...while yelling "how are they bitin'?

Post Thanks / Like

Like Bdorman said, just keep yer distance, and if they are trollin don't pull in front and cut em off.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help

RoflRoflRoflRoflRoflRoflRoflRofl Speed up THATS FUNNY, if YOU CAN GET YA A GUIDE MAKE SOME REAL MEMORIES AND LEARN SOME TECHNIQUES THAT WORK LOCALLY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bdorman View Post
    Best rule of thumb is to keep your distance. If you see a boat with rods and lines hanging off the back, stay at least 150 feet off his stern; he's long-lining and his baits might only be 6 feet deep, even 100 feet behind the boat. You don't want to get his lines caught in your prop any more than he wants you to.

If the boat has rods and lines off the front, he's spider-rigging (his rods are fanned out like a spider's legs) and he has limited manueveriblity. Take a path that doesn't require him to change direction.

If a boat is stationary, gun your motor for all it's worth and speed by him as closely as you can...while yelling "how are they bitin'?
    I'm sure we've met, you fish Dardanelle lake in Arkansas much? Hey, two flat washers, a bolt and a nut will fix them bullet holes, oops,,was I shooting hollow points, maybe get BIG flat washers...lol

I wish you well on your weeks fishing vacation, I'd just ask the guide for a location I could come back too, maybe even get him to mark it for you. Pay attention to what equipment he uses, what lures or baits he uses. Equip yourself likewise if possible.
    Give any boat you encounter a wide birth if possible, never reduce speed to 1/2 throttle, it throws a maximun wake at that speed, either idle by or pass on plane at a reasonable distance, remember you are responsible for your wake.

Have fun!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. The information on wake management was great

Post Thanks / Like

one day with a guide will help but from you saying you are going to rent a boat i'm guessing you won't have the equipment the guide uses to find the good fishing spots unless it's in the spring and the fish are on the bank. fishing is a daily learning experience. even as old as xring is he's still learning so don't get discouraged if you don't do well. ky lake is a big big lake. maybe a smaller lake would be a good starting point? good luck and don't weaken.

Post Thanks / Like

That's good advise from the old fart, I mean old duckhunter