Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bank fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bank fishing?

Since the only boat I own stays in the bathtub, I have no choice but to bank fish.
    As a new crappie fisherman (long time catfisher) I'm not sure where to start. What I want to know is what are the best methods used for bank fishing- slip float? drop shot? jigging? etc..
    I mostly fish southern resevoirs (Douglas lake-tellico-cherokee etc) and these lakes have virtually no vegitation or cover and the bottoms are mostly sandy and gravelly or rocky.
    Do crappie prefer points or coves on these lakes or more open water? or do they hang around drop off's or manmade structures such as docks? Also, since the water level on these lakes fluctuates up to 50 feet over the season, how does this affect their numbers? any info would be greatly appreciated...

Post Thanks / Like

fish docks if possible,points if not jigs and minnows works best

Post Thanks / Like

sharp ledges and drop offs with rock have been good best for me.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. I bank fish a lot. I look for points with deepet water or channel bends nearby. I make my own tied jigs and soft plastic baits. One rod has a slip bobber set up and one has a modified drop shot setup. There is a great stickie at the top of this forum on knots and rig drawings.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe drive around at your local lake to the bridges. Stop and get out and walk the banks looking for a blown over tree or some structure like that in the water and fish around them. There are a couple good spots on my local lake that are good fishing spots and I fish from my boat but sometimes people are fishing them from the bank so I don't stop.
    "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BGCrappieCatcher View Post
    Maybe drive around at your local lake to the bridges. Stop and get out and walk the banks looking for a blown over tree or some structure like that in the water and fish around them. There are a couple good spots on my local lake that are good fishing spots and I fish from my boat but sometimes people are fishing them from the bank so I don't stop.
    This is some very good advice. I catch well over one thousand Crappie every year fishing from the bank.....my year starts in September and runs through May. ...and keep in mind I fish 5 to 6 days a week. I have not been to the dams you have mentioned..but if they have a lock side go there and fish. Many of the TVA Dams will have excellent Crappie fishing between the bank and the lock below the dam. Look at Google Earth and look at the lakes you fish...look for where roads and railroad bridges cross the water. Probably more than half of my thousand Crappie come from a single location...which I find amazing because so many other people are taking Crappie out of there also. Good luck.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

I try to fish around docks which house boats. I drift live minnows suspended around 5 feet to 7 feet below a bobber. Good luck!