Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Xpress 1650DB

Post Thanks / Like

Default Xpress 1650DB

Is an Xpress 1650DB with a 50 HP 4 stroke a pretty good sized boat to go about anywhere? I have a 1436 now and it is a little small for me to take my son in if there are any waves.

Post Thanks / Like

hey Buckie02, you're gonna get a different opinion from every post on this question. The rig you mention is a good all around boat for most people and most water and weather conditions. I would recomend you try it out at a place that is familiar to you, just to see how it handles.
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

I run an old 1648 with a 50 HP 2 stroke, runs mid 30s with just me in the boat. It still gets a little hairy on windy days on good sized lakes.
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

I have that boat, and a 14 footer. It is a barge compared to a 14', but will beat you up on crowded/windy days (although not nearlly as bad as the 14'). With that being said, we have 2072 seark at work, and it will beat you up on windy days too.

Of the 3 boats at my house(including a 19' bassboat), I run the Xpress more than the other two combined. It is the perfect all around size boat for me.

My Xpress has a 50hp 2 stroke, and runs 39 with three guys and light load.
    "They bitin' up river on that topwater"

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 16/50 AlumName:  IMG00325-20110124-0952copy.jpg
Views: 1835
Size:  61.9 KBacraft MV TEX Special. Same boat basically. Mine has no wood all aluminum including transom. Can get 38mph on gps alone and unloaded. 32 to 35mph with 2 people and loaded. I have had it in rough water and as long as you dont quarter the waves you stay dry. I can fish all day on 12 gallons of fuel. Perfect for 2 fishing but ad a 3rd and its crowded.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for info, I am also looking at a 1860 tracker with a tiller and 50 HP 4 stroke. Boat has been modified some.

Post Thanks / Like

I second the opinion of freeshrman. Taking the boat out to familiar water on a windy day with a realistic fishing load would be a great idea if you can do it.

I had a 1436 for several years and I understand your desire for something bigger. It's true that nobody ever wished for a smaller boat with less freeboard on rough water. I've also heard people say that boats shrink by 30% when they're in the water- and that seems to be true.

My $.02- I'd get a boat that's a little bigger than what you think you need and it'll probably end up about right. Good luck with whatever boat you end up with and I hope your son enjoys the time on the water. It's fun to get the kids out there catching fish.

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

THe wind will blow some of the spray on you in the back of the boat with a tiller and an aluminum boat. How bad it is is up to the recipient. An 1860 side or center console with a 75 or better would be a bit better all around boat in my opinion. The one in the pic is awful nice and would do you for a while, but when the boy gets old enough to tube or ski you'll want a bit more power. My 16' stick steer was a good all around boat for me, but my back had a different opinion. I still miss it though. Good luck in your search.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

i have an h-50 with a 60 same as the db except not camo.it is a great all around boat.rides great, can get anywhere and fits in my garage. i fish with my 2 boys and my wife.i can already see where a bigger boat could benefit me in the future however.the wind does blow me around , but i have never been in an aluminum boat that it didnt.