Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: [Sacramento] Crappie Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default [Sacramento] Crappie Fishing

Hello my fellow Crappie lovers. I'm new to fishing fro Crappies. I live in Sacramento and would like some general tips,tricks and locations for fishing for Crappies.

I do not own a boat so the main battle will be from shore and docs.

What's need as of fishing pole,reel and bait? Will I need a special set up for Crappies? Will my Okuma Reflections 4-10lbs 6'8" rod and my Saros 2500 reel on 8lbs test work just fine?

Post Thanks / Like

Im new to the Sac area also. Dont know about good crappie spots. I know there are crappie at collins ans the sloughs at the delta. Other than that no idea. Some of the bypasses probably have them. I fished one lake up here for them but few and far between. As for gear that all depends. I have fishind places the crappie lived in murky water and were seldom more than 4-6' deep in the spring and others where 13-20 was the norm. I normally use bnm poles 7-10' a small reel and 4# test but to many breakoffs and moving to 6#. In shallow water i love the thill mini stealth, use the MS-2 alot w 1/32oz jig.
    Id say a 2500 series reel is to big, got to temember the lighter the setup the better your feel. I caught my biggest crappie wen it was really windy and i switched to a 30" ice rod with a spring bobber on the leeward side of the boat to see the bites. Let me know if you find anything. Been working on my boat today but will be heading out for sturgeon and bass and striper before crappie.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, thank you for the reply. Glad to see another Sacramento member on this site. I can't wait till it warms up and the Crappies come out of hiding.

Quote Originally Posted by robbor View Post
    Im new to the Sac area also. Dont know about good crappie spots. I know there are crappie at collins ans the sloughs at the delta. Other than that no idea. Some of the bypasses probably have them. I fished one lake up here for them but few and far between. As for gear that all depends. I have fishind places the crappie lived in murky water and were seldom more than 4-6' deep in the spring and others where 13-20 was the norm. I normally use bnm poles 7-10' a small reel and 4# test but to many breakoffs and moving to 6#. In shallow water i love the thill mini stealth, use the MS-2 alot w 1/32oz jig.
    Id say a 2500 series reel is to big, got to temember the lighter the setup the better your feel. I caught my biggest crappie wen it was really windy and i switched to a 30" ice rod with a spring bobber on the leeward side of the boat to see the bites. Let me know if you find anything. Been working on my boat today but will be heading out for sturgeon and bass and striper before crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest you read my post, http://www.crappie.com/crappie/calif...e-fishing.html for some basics.
    I mostly fish crappie with a light ugly stick and 6lb line.
    Most of the sloughs Hold crappie around Sacto from what I read.
    For more local info you might check the panfish forum at Fishsniffer.com once they get the site repaired. Many Sacto fishermen post regular reports there.