Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Variable Speed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Variable Speed

Hello all, once again i am seeking the opinions of all who have time to offer them and give some tried and true advice. I am finding that the motorguide 42 lb trolling motor that my tracker boat came equipped with is somewhat deficient when trolling very slooooow. It has preset speeds 1 thru 5 and 1 is still not slow enough at times. I am considering upgrading and would like to know what you guys (and gals) have opinions on. I know i want a variable speed, i also would like to get away from the foot control of the older (1998) motorguide. Anyone use the wireless foot control? I am also looking very hard at the minn kota line. Like the battery optimization. Please give me some pros and cons.

twister
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

I have loved my Minn Kota Power Drive motors. I had a cordless once but there was a delay that I did not like in between hitting the button on the pedal and the motor responding. This may be better now but I have never tried it again.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

2nd the minnkota power drive I use the 18ft cord to sit at the consel and watch the electrionic,the control is in my lap more than on the floor,I also use it to troll for walley on Lake Erie. its 70 lbs don't go to small go bigger and 24v if you can

Swamp Dawg Guest

twister,
    I have that same set up on my tracker, have found that easist thing to do is get a smaller prop for motor (one that would fit 30lb thrust or smaller) sometimes can p.u from wal-mart and when replace, motor spins at same speed but prop has to turn faster thus causing boat to go very slow,
    as far as batterys, have used many in my boat due to also bass fish a lot and found that batteries (deep cycle) from napa have held up way longer than any other ones.
    + if run batteries a lot and hot weather, need to chk water level frequently b/c if becomes low and not refilled with distilled water will not hold charge very long

Post Thanks / Like

I have a minnkota Power drive with auto pilot and like it a lot. If your trolling you can set the speed and the auto pilot and let the motor do the work for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my powerdrive. Mine has a foot control. Had the wireless but I didn't like the way it worked, so I sold it. I'm going to try the hand held corded remote.

Get The Net

Post Thanks / Like

Min Kota is the only brand I will have and if you don't go with the wireless model take a good look at the Maxxum model.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 74# riptide minnkota on my 19" Center Console. It is fully variable and I agree with the go big not too small. I can slow down as slow as I want or troll crankbaits for rockfish, too. Also, use the wind to control your speed.
    My $.02.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all of your input. Just ordered a powerdrive 55 this morning from Cabela's. The model I purchased had a $50.00 manufacturers rebate plus right now cabelas is offereing free shipping. This is a 13 lb increase from my motorguide 42lb, plus the foot pat is electronic rather than manual. After researching with minn kota, and your comments, i think this is a definite upgrade, and it will give my ankle a well deserved rest.
    Thanks
    Twister
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

had the same problem till somebody on the board turned me on to the vexilar motor max, it installs between your motot and battery and gives you the ability to dial it in from 0 to 100 % .it was 100 $ and worth every penny. wicth can be hard to come by these days. i would absolutly get one again instead of 600 for a variable speed. http://www.vexilar.com/purchase/dire...ne_direct.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast