Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Blacknose crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blacknose crappie

Double D sent me a PM wanting info on Blacknose Crappie and asked that I post the info in the Truman Section. Well there isn't a Truman Section anymore so here goes.

Blacknose crappie are quite simply a black crappie with a distinctive black stripe that can run down the top of the fish. It usually starts a thte dorsal and runs to the nose. It's merely a genetic color variation and doesn't signify any genetic superiority to a normally colored black crappie. Some hatcheries try to sell them as a genetically superior crappie with greater growth rates, but this hasn't been found to be the case. The Tennessee website has a good picture of one if you're interested.

TWRA - Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Crappie Identification

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear from you Jake. Been a while. You must be busy out at Jacomo? You likely missed all the fireworks when we had 27 different subforums for each lake in MO. (slight exaggeration there, but only slight!)

Post Thanks / Like

I caught some up to 14" in Normandy lake when I lived in Tn. There was a good population .

Post Thanks / Like

Been busy getting used to new office and new lakes. And suffering from a little mourning over losing management of Smithville. I only fished it once last year, just couldn't bring myself to go. So, I picked up the sticks and whipped my golf game back in shape. My oldest son is majoring in software engineering and finance at Auburn and decided he needed to learn the game for business. Enjoyed teaching him last summer, but this summer it's time to fish again. I'll be the one in the 16 foot SeaRay fish-n-ski. Yell if you see me.

Post Thanks / Like

Jake , I learned a lot about a Smithville from reading your posts and messages . I hope you stick around here on CDC . Your input is valuable to everyone .

Post Thanks / Like

Jake it sure is good hearing from you.
    Team Double D - " We're not famous, but we should be."