Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pier shootin

Post Thanks / Like

Default pier shootin

i am new to pier shootin. what is the best rod and reel combo and length to use for this presentation.
    Roll Tide Roll with a crappie on a pole!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pier Shooting

Go to YouTube and google "shooting docks"; there are good tips there along with techniques and tackle reccomendations. I've tried with a short (5ft) rod with a fast tip and 2 lb test line. So far, I suck at shooting, but my best efforts to get something under a dock is to back off the dock and throw a 1/24 oz jig with a Bobby Garland's body. I aim for the jig to impact at the water right under the door or dock and you can usually get them back 5-8 feet with a 7 ft Rapala Crappie rod.

Good luck in the shooting, it requires some patience.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Slabby ... general concensus says any rod from 5' to 7' ... lite to med/lite power ... moderate to fast action tip.

Learning the technique is more important than rod length &/or rod/reel combos. Read my replies in this thread : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...ecnique-2.html and if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I say that, because the link takes you to a thread that is 6yrs old, and I may have refined things a little, since then.

I currently use a 5'6" ESP UL rod ... Shakespeare Alpha XT Lite UL reel ... Mr Crappie Super hi-vis 4lb mono ... for most of my dock shooting. My backup is a 5' Zebco rod with the same type reel/line. My main jig casting outfit is a 6'6" PowerLite ESP rod with a Shimano Aero 1000 reel with Vicious hi-vis 4lb mono ... but, I have no problem using it to shoot docks, if I happen to have it in hand when the opportunity appears.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

you can get a bnm sharpshooter for less than $30. this would be a good rod to try to start with. I like at least a 5 1/2 foot
    rod but like a 6 foot better. any good spinning reel will work. if you try it and like it save up and buy a 6 foot ESP power lite
    not that much more, bout $60. I use 6# hi vis line
    Minnermatics Prostaff
    My wife lets me buy all the rods and reels I can hide.

Post Thanks / Like

have caught many limits shooting docks, just my 2 cents under 6lb test I lost a ton of jigs, I take needle nose pliers and bend my hook out and bend it back and tend to get maybe 50 percent back on pier hook ups, and can horse out those biguns. You might catch more fish on 4lb, but man I get tried of retieing.

Post Thanks / Like

Use Fireline, 6lb hi vis yellow and you will rarely break off fishing around docks. Dock shooting doesn't really take any special rod to do it well. It just takes practice with a rod that you are confident in using. Medium light action is what I prefe, but I have used an ultralight to do it too. I practiced my techniques by shooting under an open garage door that was shut to about 1 foot from the ground. It was an old, beat up door, so I didn't have to worry bout dinging it. I practiced several different angles that way, and got pretty good at it before hitting the water. Another thing I did to practice dock shooting, was to set out dixie cups, and then try to shoot the jigs into them at different distances. Those things helped me a ton! Big bites, full baskets, and God's blessings to ya!

<,"}//>{
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Addendum :

Quote Originally Posted by harley2004 View Post
    have caught many limits shooting docks, just my 2 cents under 6lb test I lost a ton of jigs, I take needle nose pliers and bend my hook out and bend it back and tend to get maybe 50 percent back on pier hook ups, and can horse out those biguns. You might catch more fish on 4lb, but man I get tried of retieing.
    Glad you brought this up, Harley .... here's a read that you & Slabby may gain from :

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/kentu...ppie-rigs.html

In my reply you will see the weedless jighead benefit. I also describe how to work a jig over an obstacle with much less chance of hanging up.

Some points of clarification ... what I refer to as a "V-wing" weedguard, is actually a Y shaped weedguard. And they are also available in "clear" (as well as black). The thread I posted in is from 2007. The popularity of these Y guard weedless jigheads has caused some of the other jig maker members of this site to start making them, as well. I've been using these two styles of weedless jighead for around 10yrs, primarily the Y-guard style, and I cannot to this day honestly say that I've lost or missed a fish due to the weedguard. Whether or not I've had a fish NOT bite them, due to them having a weedguard, would be impossible for me to determine ... but, I can say that I have caught a lot of fish while using them.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

there are many rods to choose from,in varied price ranges....my favorite is the BnM sharpshooter...I have all three sizes...but don't prefer one over any of the others.....the 4.5' is great if you are trying to do a tight shot,and the 5.5' is great in a more open area if you need to shoot a jig 20-30 ft under a big pier...you get what I'm saying...as far as line goes,I like the sufix seige in neon tangerine color for hi-viz....but more so because since I have used this particular line,I have lost far less jigs to hang ups,because it is very strong....this all is just my personal opinion...the other guys on here have good ideas,and I peek in here often to try to scoop up some hints
    1-God...2-Family...3-Crappie...4-Crimson Tide...5-My Dogs...100-My Job

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 5' or 5'6" UL rod fitted with a Pflueger spining reel. Four pound line seems to get bit the most along with 1/32oz Bobby Garland's baby shad. Red head with albino shad pattern is what a I use 90% of the time. From my experience if their active they will hit almost anything. Use the count down method to establish the depth they are holding at. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Steve....I use a 4 1/2 ft. with spinning reel.....6# test line Hi-vis yellow (a must)....1/32 oz jig.....if you want to go one afternoon...give me a shout....I know a few good docks around SS/Whorton Bend area....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast