Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ?Depth finder battery?

Post Thanks / Like

Default ?Depth finder battery?

I would like to buy a Hbird 170 or a Lowrance x-4 pro to mount on my Kayak. Both of these unit are duel beam, 12v units. My question is what kind of battery can i use to power one? It needs to be as small and lite as possible to keep weight down. Could anyone please send me a link or some advice on where i can find the proper battery? I'd also enjoy seeing some other depth finder set ups people here are using on there yaks. Thanks.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Get one for a lawn mower or motorcycle. Get largest cranking amp. Might also check Cabelas web site. Some where I saw a small Gel Cell battery with charger. Would be a bit more expensive but worth it in long run. If you don't have one I would go to goodwill type store and find small plastic cooler to put it in case of spill.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

8 AA batteries (rechargeable) and a 9-volt snap connector, placed into a tupperware or other waterproof box. Also you could use a 9-14.4 volt cordless drill battery.

Attached Images Attached Images  

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Never thought about using 8 AA's before. Great idea. When I need to go small I use a Stowaway 40. It's 32amp and the same size and weight as lawnmower battery. It is a deep cycle.

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend a small Cabela's 12V battery. I use one on my big boat to power the bow unit. They are only about $30 with a charger. They are small and perfect IMO.
    Name:  battery.jpg
Views: 4334
Size:  16.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I should add my current battery is on its 4th year and still holds a more than enough charge for a full day on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Jayhawk- Thanks, thats just what i was looking for. They are even onsale at Cabelas right now. Problem is they will not ship to a po box. I learned the hard way not to have things sent to my physical location because they always get lost and sent back to the nearest main UPS office. lol (im out in the sticks) But ill sure check out some locale store next time i head to town. Thanks everyone. Very helpsfull.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BASSERBEN View Post
    Jayhawk- Thanks, thats just what i was looking for. They are even onsale at Cabelas right now. Problem is they will not ship to a po box. I learned the hard way not to have things sent to my physical location because they always get lost and sent back to the nearest main UPS office. lol (im out in the sticks) But ill sure check out some locale store next time i head to town. Thanks everyone. Very helpsfull.
    Ben, you could have it shipped UPS and do a hold for pick up if your not to far out.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with jayhawk that's what I have and there have been no problems. Found some on amazon with free shipping too.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery

Quote Originally Posted by jayhawkcrappie View Post
    I recommend a small Cabela's 12V battery. I use one on my big boat to power the bow unit. They are only about $30 with a charger. They are small and perfect IMO.
    Name:  battery.jpg
Views: 4334
Size:  16.5 KB
    I use the same battery and charger combo. I can go all day running my fish finder and other small electronics without any problems an it's still about full charge when I'm done. Got it on sale 24 bucks shipped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast