Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: tracker panfish 16 trolling motor size

Post Thanks / Like

Default tracker panfish 16 trolling motor size

I just bought an older tracker panfish 16. It has a motor guide 28lb thrust trolling motor on it now. I just wondered if this is sufficient? I'm in the process of fixing lights, replacing carpet, etc. and I wondered if I should upgrade this, or if I could get by with it for awhile. Thanks for any info.

Post Thanks / Like

PerryF,

It is probably more than sufficient for your model boat. Although if your not strapped for cash I would recommend a minnkota terrova 12 volt with 56# thrust with the Ipilot. I have an older bass tracker pro crappie, about the same size of your boat. I saved my money and bought that model.... best thing I ever did. So answer to your question, yes that will be good for trolling and casting on your size boat, but if you ever upgrade you cant ever go wrong with the minn kota I pilot..

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 16' tracker with a 45lb thrust minn kota and in windy conditions I wish I had more....

Driftmaster's Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Your gonna want atleast a 55lb. Minn Kota. If you do much trolling make sure it's variable speed.

Post Thanks / Like

I would get all the trolling motor you can afford. You can get by for now with the 28 but in windy conditions its not going to be sufficent or last very long. I had a 40 lb thrust 12 volt on my 17 foot xpress and changed it out for a 80lb 24 volt fortrex. maybe a little overkill but i never have to worry about the wind limiting my fishing or not having enough juice. Alot of the lakes close to me are electric only or 10 hp or less so i use my trolling motor alot more than most.

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone thus far, you're gonna want bigger when it comes to windy conditions. My 16' stick steer was great but went home early too often with a MK PD40 on the nose. Get a 55 and strap 2 batteries in parallel and you'll never run out of juice, I didn't.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around