Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Rod Advice... Please

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Rod Advice... Please

Been hunting the elusive crappie for about 3 years now and having a real blast. I'm progressing in to patterning and using Crappie 101 to help. Years ago I started with a few ultra lights and a Shakespeare Crappie Hunter. I found the SCH to be heavy and wearing, but a good rod. I then picked up BnM Graphite Little Jewell 12' and had a blast, but too little action to haul in big fish all the time... good rod though. Now ready to graduate and am looking for something that will provide for a broader range of application.

I know that I won't be able to find all my wanted applications in one rod, but maybe I can find a combo that will satisfy. I'm looking for a 10' spinning rod that I can use for FnF, vertical jigging shallow and deep, casting, dipping and maybe?? tight line. I tend to run both fluorocarbon and braided lines. I think? I want a rod with medium light power and mod fast action. Reading through the threads I think I have found the most popular rods to be BnM Float n Fly, Sam Heaton Super Sensitive, Ozark Rods, and Outlaw Rods. Part of the issue that I have here is that I have not been able to find rod power/action specifications for the above listed. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place????

All suggestions and comments are welcome and many Thanks In Advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappMaster View Post
    I'm looking for a 10' spinning rod that I can use for FnF, vertical jigging shallow and deep, casting, dipping and maybe?? tight line.
    Another option is a light steelhead rod. I have one, and it's great. Go to Cabela's website and check them out.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a good many rods and have handled a lot of the ones I don't have or can't afford. I'll cut to the chase and say that you need to take the time to educate yourself by leaving the money home and going out and handling all the rods you can find. They all have a different personality and differ from mfg to mfg while all stating the same action. When you find it there will be no question. I have and like the 2 BnM Bucks Graphite Jig Pole(BGJP) in 8, 10, and 12 '. The 8' are my personal favorite. The 10's are versatile for everything you stated, and by moving your hand in front of the reel they will all balance comfortably. Take the reel you will use when you shop so that you can compare apples to apples. 2000 and 2500 series reels on these rods work very well for me. Good luck in your search.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand why everyone thinks crappie rods have to start at 8' long and go up from there. I have 8' and 10' rods but they're used for trolling and timber fishing only. My "go to" rods are 7' - 7'6" and I don't miss the length a bit. Seems that guys that jig for walleyes in a serious way prefer even shorter rods. If you want longer rods then go get 'em, all I'm saying is that there is a world of rods out there less than 8' long that make great jig rods. Start looking at St Croix's in a ML action and see what you think.

And the advice to go lay hands on everything you can find but leave your money at home until you decide is sound...

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 of the 10' Sam Heaton Super Sensitive...

Lightest weight 10' rod I've ever touched...

Great for all the methods you listed except... "Any kind of trolling"...not enough backbone for that..

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

ozark rods and b&m sam heaton rod is the ones i like light and sensative
    If she only knew how much a fish cost me

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have Sam Heaton 11,BJJP 11, WM 10 , 9, and 8, 12ft BnM Brushcutter. They all work well in different applications. But I would think for what you want I would try the BnM Float n Fly. I handled one at the store and seemed nice for the money. Long enough to jig tite line with and actually designed to cast a float and jig.
    X10 on what Skeet said about money.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like good advice to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    I have a good many rods and have handled a lot of the ones I don't have or can't afford. I'll cut to the chase and say that you need to take the time to educate yourself by leaving the money home and going out and handling all the rods you can find. They all have a different personality and differ from mfg to mfg while all stating the same action. When you find it there will be no question. I have and like the 2 BnM Bucks Graphite Jig Pole(BGJP) in 8, 10, and 12 '. The 8' are my personal favorite. The 10's are versatile for everything you stated, and by moving your hand in front of the reel they will all balance comfortably. Take the reel you will use when you shop so that you can compare apples to apples. 2000 and 2500 series reels on these rods work very well for me. Good luck in your search.
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

I am new to this stuff and need rods for me and the wife and I just can't seem to get past a 7 ft rod. What about the 51/2 and 6?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation IMHO ..... (& JUST my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by goofy1 View Post
    I am new to this stuff and need rods for me and the wife and I just can't seem to get past a 7 ft rod. What about the 51/2 and 6?
    It's all personal choice ... based on what methods you intend to use. Nothing wrong with 5-6ft rods ... I've used them for 3/4 of my Crappie fishing years, and done quite well with them. Most all of my rods are technique specific. But, I'm mostly a jig caster, dock shooter, and live bait tightliner. I don't have the equipment or setups to do the multi-pole techniques.

Even so, thru the years ... I went from the "norm" of 6ft rods & tightlining minnows, to 5ft/5.5ft rods for casting & dock shooting, with no problems. I added 7' rods, 8' rods, and even a 9' rod to my arsenal, and expanded the number of methods I can use. I "could" have stayed within the 5-7ft rod range, and not noticed or missed not having longer rods ... and probably caught just as many fish.

How you plan on fishing (what methods) and what size/length equipment is comfortable for you to use & still do the job, should be the first priority in choosing what to purchase. Don't let the evil twins, the Bait Monkey & the Tackle Monkey, get into your brain & tell you that you need the latest & greatest stuff to catch fish with, and have fun doing it. Rofl I catch just as many fish with my <$40 outfits, as I do with my >$100 outfits ... and have fun doing it, regardless of which one I catch them on. Thumbs Up

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast