Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alabama Rig

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alabama Rig

Im gonna try the rig on this weekend maybe troll Poorhouse Branch, Seddon Creek or Blue Eye. Anybody use the crappie version and if so have you had any luck. I guess I will try a few different color jigs to see if it works. Ill let yall know if I do any good but I would really like to hear if anybody is using them yet for crappie. I have one big one and one small one and I might try both of them at once trolling long line.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I dont know if anyones using them for Crappie but the bass people that throw them at me when im crappie fishing must think they are the best thing since sliced bread for Bass.To date i have seen them catch 3 big drum and 4 stripe on them and 0 bass, course its just in passing as I'm on the bank while they are moving by frailing the water with them.I even got splashed last week by one

Post Thanks / Like

These rigs have been around for years for crappie trolling. Pretty common in SC where I bought mine from 7 years ago. They do work on crappie!! You can even cast them the way the bass guys are doing and catch fish with them as well. The challenge is depth control when long lining them and the speed you want to troll at. Good luck, let us know how you did.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried it longlining but was not in deep enough water. It is heavy and I just had plain hooks and no jig heads. Gonna need to be in deeper water until I do a little more experimenting. I had about 15-20' of line out and was dragging bottom at about 8-9' deep.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

I heard they outlawed them in the big time bass tournaments so I assume they work on bass. I guess ill know when I try them if they work or not. I would imagine casting one would be a hoot. They weigh a ton I guess with 4 jigs on them.

Post Thanks / Like

The crappie rigs are actually made of thinner wire and not as cumbersome to throw as you'd think, I was pleasantly surprised. Use as light a jig head as you can. Another alternative is to just use snap swivels on the outside baits and just use a jig on the center piece and use a colored head different from all the other grubs/plastics and that will be the one the crappie bite.

Post Thanks / Like

I built my own version and slow trolled em. Started out with 4 minner hooks and a 1/4 oz jig head in the center with no main line weight. It was too heavy, so I took the jig head off and it was still heavy, but manageable. It out fished a double minner rig 4-1. Don't think my rig would be suitable for casting nor long lining, but they worked great pushing em.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd bet you could tie one to a planner board and make it work! Just a thought!

Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, and when longlining and they cross another line (inevitable, I do not care how good you are) they will make a little mess...
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Im not sure about how much fun they would be if you started tangling up line. I figured Seddon Creek should be 5-10 foot or so and if I start shallow and drop off the ledge it might be the ticket... hell Im getting charged up just thinking about it. Gotta wait till Sunday though got relative visiting stuff Saturday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast