Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dose size matter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dose size matter

I know it a age old question in some thing. But in jigs dose it really matter the size of the jigs head? Or is it the body that really counts in the size of head of a jig. I know some like the smaller heads like 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, and so on, but dose a smaller head with a bigger body work better. Will a 2" jig work with smaller head or do you need the bigger head to make it look right? Dose the color of the head of jig make that big of a dill to the body. I asking all this as I see a lot of pink, yellow, organ, color head and the head seem to match the jig body size. I don't see but about 6 differents color most jig builder use. Dose the wild colors/strips not work on fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if I understand entire question but I will address the size issue in my opinion of course. I think size matters for many number of reasons weather, water temps, big fish small fish etc. But I think the jig head itself doesn't make as much difference ONLY as being part of the WHOLE bait as it is concerned . I really don't pay that much attention to the head only thinking of what weight I want to use.
    I do have a recent example from the weekend, I was crappie fishing a creek and using a small hair jig I make that is 64th oz. on a #8 hook. I caught several fish just a couple feet deep and close to bank, when the bite stopped and I went for quite a while without a bite I grabbed a pole I had a 2" BG shad bait on 16thoz head and first cast in same area caught biggest crappie I had caught all morning, caught one more nice one and that was it. As I changed areas along the creek this was repeating itself. Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes that help out a lot. Do you think the bigger bait and head size made to differents or just how deep the bait went that made the differents. Was the bait the same color or did you change color too?

Post Thanks / Like

I'll put my neck out on this one. Size matters most when you are fighting heavy winds, waves, or fishing deep. A bigger or heavier jig will work better for you about 90% of the time in those conditions. With a heavier jig, you tend to stay in better contact to what is happening down on the business end of your line. That will help you from missing a lot of light strikes. But, Crappie LOVE to bite things on the fall! And a heavier jig often falls faster than what the fish prefer. So in light of that, and in situations where the fish are being finnicky(seems more often than not for me), lighter jigs can often outfish heavier ones due to having a slower fall rate. l think that a natural presentation has usually been a large factor for making my fishing trips sucessful.

I prefer to stay between 1/32oz to 1/2oz jigs, armed with hooks from size 4 up to a 1/0. I try to match the size of what the fish are feeding on if I can, and tend to stay with a jighead/body combination that appears to maintain a natural appearance. So to clarify, I don't use a SP Stinger with a 1/2oz jig head. Generally, if you mate up 1/32 - 1/8 0z jigheads to baits IN THE 1" TO 3" zone, you will consistantly have better results than otherwise. So yes to your question, you are fine using a 1/32nd head with a 2" body. It might not look exactly natural to you, but it will get the job done. That larger body combo also helps to slow down the rate of fall whcih can be deadly for mister & misses slabl

Jighead shapes can make a big difference too, and sometimes, one style head will out-produce others. Some jigheads, like Crappie Pro's (my go to jighead) are center balanced. These are dynamite for vertical jigging! Some people prefer to use horsehead style jigs (like Wally Marshal's) for their added flash when trolling, swimming, and dipping their presentations. Others will prefer a minnowhead jig to do the very same things. Those are just a few of your choices of what is out there. Time on the water will give you your answers to what works best for you.

I hope some of this helps you. Big bites, full baskets, and God's blessings to you!

<,"}//>{
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

I also like to think of it as to where and what I am fishing. If it is trolling and I am moving along looking for bites, I tend to use a little larger jig head/plastic. If I am finessing a bush or brush pile, I tend to lighten it up some. Also if I am fishing clearer water I will lighten up.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Gindog View Post
    Yes that help out a lot. Do you think the bigger bait and head size made to differents or just how deep the bait went that made the differents. Was the bait the same color or did you change color too?
    In this case I think it was the larger bait and color that triggered the bigger fish to bite, not depth since I was fishing a shallow creek , and the bait was color and size of a small shad, not like the small 64thozjig I was using previously.
    Bottom line in my case for the most part I want to be prepared to do what ever it takes and sometimes you just have to keep changing up until you get it figured out. And if you are lucky that just might happen

Post Thanks / Like

98% of my fishing is a 1/32oz head with a 4 or 6 hook, either rubber or my own tied jigs......but 2 of my 3 largest crappies have come of 1/64oz hair jigs with number 8 hook? lol

Post Thanks / Like

as a general rule ,as lite as you can still have good control,but in warmer weather you can go heaver and faster, I use 1-32 at lease 60% and 1-16 the rest and as far as bigger bait means bigger fish I do not buy into that but more the size they are feeding on that day,caught 5 last year over 17 inches all on 1-32
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

big bait = big fish
    If she only knew how much a fish cost me

Post Thanks / Like

I think it makes a differance when fishing deep or muddy to stained water. Also depends on average size of fish in the lake. Last spring when we was in Grenada I went as heavy as 1/4 oz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast