Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vertical rod holder experience?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vertical rod holder experience?

Considering making/buying a vertical rod holder (pvc tube type with notch for reel) for my boat. It would be used for two 12' jigging poles (B&M fiberglass). Pole holders would be located just behind front casting deck toward one side of the boat. Rods would be 4-6" apart. Rod holders would be mounted vertically or up to a 15 degree angle with pole tips angled toward rear of boat.

Boat is 16.5' aluminum v-bottom with 32mph top speed. I would not trailer the boat with rods in the holders. I do want to be able to run at speed on the water with rods in holders.

Based on your experience or opinion, would the rods flop around to the point of being damaged or being annoying rattling around in the rod holders when running at speed? Is it realistic to mount long rods in such a manner and run at speed?

I am not wanting to put a horizontal rod holder above the gunnel, as I don't have enough long poles to justify it and I stow the rest of my poles in a horizontal rod holder along the inside of the boat's gunnel. Thanks for any help with this matter.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some PVC attached to my rod holders and have no problem. I have gone up to 55MPH with the rods straight up, easier to move from one spot to another like that.

Post Thanks / Like

I mounted some vertical rod holders out of gray pvc pipe from lowes, 2" diameter and used the matching clamps & some sheet metal screws to attach to the boat. If you cut the notches deep enough for the reels to seat good and deep in the pipe, then you can run down the lake with the rods up right in the holders but better make sure you have the hooks well secured as the rod and reel will bounce around. You can mount 'em at any angle, and use 'em for trolling if that is your game plan. I didn't like 'em bouncing around while vertical when moving fast, so I use mine to get the rods up off the floor so I don't step on 'em as much. you'll also find that the hooks might be right at eye, knee, hand, arm level, and can end up with a hook stuck in some body part.

Can make a bunch for <$10 with a hacksaw, dremel tool and drill. They come in handy
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Jimp, can you post some pictures?
    "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world."
    John Winger

Post Thanks / Like

I bought 2, 3 rod plastic PVC holders tonight that I am going to verically mount in the back of the boat. We will see but think they are going to be fine as far as running full speed across the lake with.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 10' section of 1-1/2' white PVC at Home Depot last week and had them cut it into 5 -10' sections. I'm in the process of shaping these 5 pieces into a total of 10, with the groove cut for placement of the reels when the rods are vertically placed. My intention is to mount 4-each of the holders onto two individual milk crates for hauling tackle and rods from place to place. I bought two fold-up/wheeled suitcase haulers at garage sales and will construct these items within the next week or two (it's gonna be too wet to fish off the shore for the next month or two, here in the Pacific northwest). The other two rod holders will be placed in my Port-A-Bote between now and spring. Can't wait to get fishing .....

Post Thanks / Like

I have 1 1/4pvc cut a bit longer than the butt of my rods with no notches so the reel rests on top of the pvc and it has served me well at over 50mph.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Heres mine. I used 1" pvc , the rod handles fit down into the fittings.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "i only like to fish when i am by myself or with someone"

Post Thanks / Like

will have to find the camera and get some, but will asap.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice set up jonboatfisher, it's a well thought out piece of engineering. Seems like you can go from storage to fishing real easy. I like the removable design also, quick and easy. I see you have those set up in the back also. Is that a horizontal storage rack on the other side of the boat?
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast