Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I have to ask....

Post Thanks / Like

Wink I have to ask....

I have seen posts about this guy being "the 3rd best jig fisherman on Truman" and a good jig fisherman can catch them when other guys can only catch them on minnows. What makes a person a "good" jig fisherman? I have fished next to Charlie Rogers and that guy can catch them. I watched him closely, and couldn't tell what he was doing different...but there was something. I always say if I'm not catching them I haven't found them or they aren't hungry. But I also believe their are hungry fish, somewhere.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

He is one of the best for sure. I think being able to find fish willing to bite is what makes or breaks a fisherman. I believe Charlie and other great "jig" fisherman are great at just that finding active fish willing to bite. I think it has to do more with finding fish than it does with what is on the end of their line. I have heard people say that Richard is the best minnow fisherman on Truman. I think it goes the same for him also. He is just great at finding fish. If you made Charlie use nothing but a minnow on a gold hook and a split shot and Richard use nothing but Bobby Garlond they still would be two of the best fisherman on the lake. Just my thought.

Post Thanks / Like

The Crappie whisperer

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread! I would love to learn to be a better jig fisherman. Will be watching to see responses.

Post Thanks / Like

At best I'm an average jig fisherman and the worst minnow fisherman in the universe. But lucky enough to fish with 4-5 guys that are pretty decent, and each one has their own style and strengths. Some will shine one day while another guy might be superior the next. A good jig fisherman on Truman doesn't necessarily mean he's one of the best on Stockton, Lake Ozark, or Table Rock in my opinion. Jig fishermen use anything from 2 lb. mono to 20 lb. braid, 5 foot rods to 12 footers, clear water or stained, 1/4 oz to 1/64th oz, lots of variables. If there's a common thread with good jig fishermen in my opinion some of it might be (1) confidence and commitment (2) ability to adapt to changing conditions and fish moods (3) presentation and (4) boat control. Personally think ranking jig fisherman by numbers is a stretch cause that's pretty subjective but agree that you can learn a lot from anglers that have proven the test of time like Charlie and others.
    Last edited by kazualobzerver; 02-21-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Very good info kaz, I think I lack confidence and therefore commitment! I am always questioning jig head, and bait size and color, and then the line, can they see it, does it need be smaller? All these thoughts and I end up with no confidence in what I am doing!

Post Thanks / Like

I was gonna say this....
    Quote Originally Posted by kazualobzerver View Post
    At best I'm an average jig fisherman and the worst minnow fisherman in the universe. But lucky enough to fish with 4-5 guys that are pretty decent, and each one has their own style and strengths. Some will shine one day while another guy might be superior the next. A good jig fisherman on Truman doesn't necessarily mean he's one of the best on Stockton, Lake Ozark, or Table Rock in my opinion. Jig fishermen use anything from 2 lb. mono to 20 lb. braid, 5 foot rods to 12 footers, clear water or stained, 1/4 oz to 1/64th oz, lots of variables. If there's a common thread with good jig fishermen in my opinion some of it might be (1) confidence and commitment (2) ability to adapt to changing conditions and fish moods (3) presentation and (4) boat control. Personally think ranking jig fisherman by numbers is a stretch cause that's pretty subjective but agree that you can learn a lot from anglers that have proven the test of time like Charlie and others.

Post Thanks / Like

the part of being able to change your jig size is to me verry important... I fish jigs 99percent of the time, and that is the one thing most folks will not do is change the jig size...it's important... oh and by the way I am now at no. 6874 best

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kazualobzerver View Post
    yeah he took the words right out of my mouth??

Post Thanks / Like

One of the most important things I found out to be pretty good at jig fishing, is learn to be a super line watcher....... I would imagine 25% of the crappie I catch there is never a hit to it..... those that hit hard are bonus fish, and hungry...... those others are teasers just testing you...
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast