Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone been to canada?

Post Thanks / Like

Default anyone been to canada?

thinking of going to canada this summer. Have checked out a few outpost cabins. Anyone have any good suggestions on any place to go and what lures/gear to bring?
    What happens on the lake... makes for good stories at least

Post Thanks / Like

did I post this in the wrong section?
    What happens on the lake... makes for good stories at least

Post Thanks / Like

yes

But I am no expert.
    First thing is steel leaders.
    Sent me a pm if you would like to know where we was and how we fished.
    picture to prove we was there that also shows you should talk to my wife not me
    Name:  CindyFish.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  65.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

that will make you want to go
    kost plus crappie team

Post Thanks / Like

I missed going to Canada 3 yrs in the 90's, I loved it!!! Now we go to Minnesota because we don't want to have to get passports and were sick of the hassle crossing the border. We now fish on the Rainy River which is the border and we have to stay on our side of the river, because you will get into BIG trouble if you get caught across the line! You will need steel leaders, other than that I will NOT buy anything I can't use in MO for fishing. We use spinner baits with great success on the pike, and I will only buy Terminators for that because the pike will flat out tear up a bait with plain wire but the terminator spring back to where it should be. I use baitcasters with 30lb braid for pike. If you go make sure you have a GOOD rainsuit, you don't want to travel that far and have it rain everyday and have a POS suit so you can't fish in the rain. If you go more than once or twice that will happen! If I can be of anymore help shoot me a PM with your phone # and we will talk! Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I went back in 97 and I was only 14 so do not remember a whole lot. I remember we used a lot of leeches catching pike and some kind of perch...they had a yellow belly if I remember correctly. The place we stayed at was on a rather large lake...we caught fish but not like we wanted to. Halfway through the week we decided to charter a plane to a smaller lake in the middle of nowhere. It was called Beanpot lake if that matters, and it was the most awesome time I had ever had!! If I had to guess the lake was around 100 acres. The price, if I remember correctly, was around $200 a piece for 2 people. They brought a small outboard with them in the plane and already had a boat there. the place was maybe an hour or two accross the border. If you want I can ask my uncle if he remembers the name or exact location. I was like Barry and used heavy braid instead of steel leaders and cannot remember having 1 break the line. I must add that between the two of us flying into the smaller lake, I'd guess we probably caught 200 pike that day.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, to add to Barry's note about rain, we went in July and it did rain on us 1 time while we were there...another note would be I couldn't believe how much the temperature would change from day to night. Seemed it would be smoldering hot during the day and then frosting at night....

Post Thanks / Like

Been there several times. I personally have never had a problem crossing the border. I have been to outpost lakes and drive-to fishing. Both have been phenomenal. Check out Thunder Hook outfitters. Last year we went to an outpost only to be evacuated because of fire to the outfitters Smoothrock camp which has electricity and a staff that takes care of filling the boats with gas on a daily basis, towels, camp store, and a free guided day of fishing etc. They have about 10-11 cabins, electric start 20-25hp motors. Hardly saw any other boats around from camp while fishing. Bring in your own food, shore lunch spots (loaded with blueberries) with propane cookers and skillets are set up at strategic spots on the lake for your use. We caught over 1000 walleye between 4 of us in 7 days and we didn't fish that hard. I honestly did not think I would like being a part of a big camp rather than having a lake to myself but I planned another trip this year. We did not catch many Northern's although we didn't really fish for them either. I think it boils down to what species you are targeting and what other perks you would like to have.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Been on Lake of the Woods three different years and all three were pretty good fishing with one being the best. The best one we actually left a day early because believe it or not after 6 days we were tired of catching fish. One time the weather (WIND) made it tough. I’ve only been in July and the weather has varied greatly. We’ve had extreme heat with temps over 100 and very cool wet weather also. Walleye walleye walleye……good luck and eat shore lunch it’s the best! Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I agree...it's more about what you're targeting. If you're going for northern pike and muskie, you'll need steel leaders. But if you're targeting walleye you don't want that on your line....you'll decrease your bite count and lose sensitivity because lots of times walleye will just swim along with the bait in their mouth and you won't know they're on until you move your line or they turn.

Matt you're probably talking about yellow perch. They're in the same family as walleye and sauger (but are much smaller though some get to be a real decent size!) and they're flat out delicious.

If you're looking for trophies then go to Canada. If you're looking to fill the freezer then fish MN since you can't bring back squat. Rainy River is great I hear but I've never been. Yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast