Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer grease

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer grease

I have buddy bearings installed on my boat trailer and been filling them with the red Lucas grease from the auto parts store. The thing I hate is this stuff gets hot and gets thrown all over my wheels and looks like crap. Also it seems to turn pink when it gets wet and tends to become runny. I was wondering what you guys run in your trailers and if you have any problems with it getting thrown everywhere. Not sure if one is better than the other. Thanks for your help in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Supertech marine grease-I've used a bunch of others and can't tell a difference between it and the $10 BRP stuff when I repack my bearings.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Lucas,maybe your putting to much in your buddy bearing's and that is why it is slinging it out when it get's warm.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same exact problem and not sure what bearing grease I am using but it is not red. I have bearing buddies and fill them up a couple times a year or before I go on fishing trip and the grease slings all over the rims.
    "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

are you sure the red grease is for bearings??? I've used several different brands of bearing grease over the years, and none have been red.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

On my tube's it say's for boat trailer's.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have Bearing Buddies and are getting any grease on the rims, you are either putting in too much grease or have put in too much grease in the past and blown the seals.

Post Thanks / Like

I use white lithium grease in mine. If you're slinging grease everywhere you're using too much grease.

Post Thanks / Like

Mystic JT-6 regular, not the high temp stuff. Used if for years in my tractor, skid steer, gooseneck and regular trailers. You usually can find it at farm stores. Its actually made by Castro I believe. On my buddy bearings I usually just give them a couple of pumps a month. On my heavy equipment sometimes daily.

Lucas is also good grease.

Post Thanks / Like

The buddy bearings that are on the trailer now are some that my dad had sitting around the garage so I may pick up a new set and swap them out. Not sure if the seal is busted but that could be possible. Thanks for all the help, gonna get some different grease also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast