Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rookie Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rookie Question

So 90% of my fishing is from the bank, I've been doing some reading and see that guys are using 1/32 or 1/64 jig heads. Just wondering what size of plastic grub you would use with a head this small not really sure just looking for some advice. Also will 6lb pound test be ok on jig heads this small or is better to go to 4lb test. Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't really speak on using a 1/64 oz because I never have and really don't ever see the need to. I mainly use a 1/16 oz. but if the fish are finiky and want a bait falling I will downsize to a 1/24 oz. first and on down to a 1/32 oz. if needed. Sometimes the fish will prefer a smaller bait and it pays off to downsize. If the fish are deep and it is windy I will try 1/8 oz. but a 1/16 oz is a what you need most of the time.
    "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

About 80% of my jigs are 1/32. Right now the crappie are hitting the smaller baits alot better soo I use a 1/32 with a #10 hook and use a 1 inch split tails with a small ice cork. Works really well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I use alot of micro stuff for crappie... Right now lately I've been using 1/64 oz #8 hook and 1/80 oz #10 hook (flies I have tied) but whenever I use a twister tail on the small jigheads like those I like to use the 1" basspro curly tails. I find that the smoke and bluegill are the best colors around here... I hope this helped some

-VCM

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Small head can be an advantage because of the slow fall when you finally find fish. To help locate cover a little more quickly you might try a 1/16 oz. jighead. Six lb. test is about all I use though I used to have good luck with 4 lb. test when throwing a 1/32 oz. jighead.