Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worms in crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Worms in crappie

Has anyone ever caught a crappie with worms in the meat? I caught a few and fillet them and there were worms in the actual meat, not the stomach. What causes this?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.238692,-92.809259
    Eatin ain't cheatin
    Eatin Ain't Cheatin

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

What kind of Worms? I catch them sometimes that have them that look like red threads coiled up. Just cut them out. Other fish have white or yellow grubs about the size of a grain of rice. Most worms are picked up in what they eat.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Click here for more information

the big red worm
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the biggest lesson here is don't eat your raw bait!
    Waterboy1

Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly right Nimrod the red ones, coiled up in the meat.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.238849,-92.809214
    Eatin ain't cheatin
    Eatin Ain't Cheatin

Post Thanks / Like

How warm is the water you are fishing everyone that I have caught in the steam plant waters have had them in them the water is 10 to 20 degrees warmer the worms were mostly in the rib cage area don't know way but just cut them out of the fillet and good to go
    HERE FISHY FISHY

Post Thanks / Like

I caught a bunch of bullhead when I was up at Fletchers Pond in Michigan Started filleting them and the first 2 had worms in them
    We let the rest of the go and threw away the 2 fish we cleaned away Later read that they are still ok to eat. I jsut domt think I
    could still eat them after I saw the worms in them> I know that i probably eat worse than that and dont know about it. But kinda outta site
    out mind

Post Thanks / Like

Our tidal rivers in Virginia have crappie with worms. Some think that it occurs more in waters with high snail concentrations and low shellcracker populations. Some just cut the worms out, others refuse to keep crappie from worm infested waters.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Well guys I live in south Louisiana and I'm roughly 20 miles from the salt water barrier. I can't ever remember catching crappie with worms in them before hurricane Rita. when Rita hit it pushed salt water into all of our rivers and bayous that are normally fresh water. Now salt water weighs more than fresh water so it settled in low lying areas that the current was not able to flush out immediately. Now days after constant rains and flooding I would have to assume that most of it is gone. I was just wandering if the salinity had anything to do with the worms but after reading your post I guess not. The only other thing I could see happening is the crappie are alot more sensitive to salt water than say bass and catfish. After the hurricane bass and catfish could be caught way before the crappie came back. Perhaps as they ran upstream and into shallower and warmer waters they contacted these worms. The reason I'm saying that is it seems like it's the bigger fish that have them and the smaller ones don't. I would have to assume the smaller ones were born in the river I am currently fishing because they are a current spawn class and the larger ones were a spawn class from the hurricane year are shortly after. It's just frustrating when you catch a slab and see a red worm in the meat after you filet him.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.238717,-92.809236
    Eatin ain't cheatin
    Eatin Ain't Cheatin

Post Thanks / Like

Cut out the worms, and throw the fish in the grease. If ya miss one of the worms, at least it'll be done!!

BRM
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast