Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Having a tough time deciding on this trip, Ky Lake or Barkley? Need opinions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Having a tough time deciding on this trip, Ky Lake or Barkley? Need opinions

We're going Shellcracker fishing from May 5th - May 9th. I'm debating on Barkley or Ky Lake and I really have no clue about either one. I do have BPS maps that I bought several years ago. One thing's for sure, we're not going into Tenn., we'll be staying somewhere in Ky. I'm thinking Poplar Bay but it doesn't appear to big on the maps.

If you were coming from Louisville and had four days to chase shellcracker and bluegill, where would you go? I'm not asking for exact spots, just general locations...I can find the fish myself, been at it for a long time. I just don't know these two huge lakes and they're intimidating.

Post Thanks / Like

PM Sent
    I live 10 miles from the 160,000 acre Kentucky Lake, and the 57,000 acre Barkley Lake is within 25 miles of my house. I live 10 miles from 220,000 acres of Water.

I live in an Outdoor Paradise

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a bunch Kentucky Lake, will certainly give strong consideration to those areas.

Post Thanks / Like

The good news is you really don't need any hot spot. By early May we are close to, if not at summer pool. Bluegill and Red Ear are much different than crappie. Crappie are structure oriented and being able to pinpoint structure either above or below the surface really helps. With Bluegill and Red Ear in early May simply go to the bank. Wherever you stay or wherever you launch just head into the shallow water, 1-3 feet or so. Cast a Shelton jig (most all area bait shops carry them) under a small casting bobber. Or use a small bluegill hooked tipped with piece of nightcrawler. Put a small split shot six inches to a foot ahead to keep it close to the bottom. Cast out and within a few seconds if there are gills close (and most of the time there will be that time of year) the line will take off. Set the hook and hold on! Keep working down the bank and eventually you will run into Red Ears. Sometimes you will just catch one or two and sometimes you can work an area for days and keep catching them. I do like the sandy, cleaner bottoms for red ear but I have caught them everywhere.

Last year we had floods into early May. When water receded there were thousands of bluegill and red ear beds in gravel parking lots, beaches, front yards, etc. So they nest anywhere they feel suits them. As far as whether to fish Barkley or Kentucky it is simply preference. Both are loaded with panfish and fishing just seems to get better year after year. The gills and ears seem to have gotten thicker and feistier. As much as I love crappie fishing I really believe I look forward to May even more. The fight these pie plate shaped chunks of fish muscle can produce it amazing. It really doesn't take a lot of knowledge on where to fish. It is more on how to fish. I hope this helps you.
    Old Guide
    Matthew 6:34
    Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 with Old Guide. Look for pea gravel banks and mustard weeds, trees or brush in shallow water will be a plus. If you can find a shallow hump in a bay it might be worth while to cover it real well. Personally I fish Kentucky Lake but only because it is closer. The advice on the Shelton's Jig is spot on. Try tipping them with a piece of crawler or Berkley maggots. Really, any buggy looking jig in 1/32 or smaller will do the trick. I started tying my own and haven't looked back. Good luck.
    "Insanity is inherited, you get it from your kids."

Mike Epperson

Post Thanks / Like

Alot of times you will find the shellcracker beds just a little deeper than the bluegills beds.
    "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln