Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: spawn over?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile spawn over?

is the spawn over at truman. went last weekend and no matter what the sign at bucksaw said (crappie on the banks) they just werent there. i am going to go fishing monday and tuesday either at truman or smithville anybody want to go?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think so. We were at Bucksaw around the 19th and caught good crappie on the banks in Cedar Creek. mostly females. We did fairly well out of Long Shoal area, mainly males with a few females around 6 to 8 ft. close to the banks. According to Bucksaw and Sterret Creek report they are done in that area, but not the entire lake. I would try a little farther south or maybe Osage arm, might try Osage Bluff. I think they spawn at various times at truman. Also, the cool weater might have slowed them down somewhat. Good luck...

Post Thanks / Like

I think the majority of the spawn is over. That week in April when it was real hot weather the water warmed quick and the crappie got in there and did there stuff and left because the water warmed too quick remember crappie eggs cant survive in extreme warm waters and it got warm quick.. I think most of the crappie are in post-spawn and it is going to be tricky catching them now for a few weeks until the summer pattern kicks in.

Post Thanks / Like

i don't think the spawn is over. i have caught very few females. i truly believe next week is gonna be great fishing. (it has to get better than last week)

just my opinion.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

It is not over at LOZ, all the females we caught had eggs in them.

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth crappie seldom lay all their eggs. And will have eggs(some in June). Some are absorbed back into their system. My two cents and don't know if the spawn is over or not. I feel strongly both ways

Post Thanks / Like

So I don't need to feel guilty about all those eggs we see when cleaning fish?

Post Thanks / Like

bigjohn.....you should "never" feel guilty about finding eggs in crappie when you "clean" them. crappie are such prolific spawners that it only helps the fishery....especially in lakes where there is a limited daily limit....such as truman, loz, etc.

keep up the good fishin'.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Osage bluff put a current fishing report today. Anyone wondering about Truman might want to read it.