Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite fishing rod for casting a float from the bank?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is your favorite fishing rod for casting a float from the bank?

I'm wanting to look into purchasing a longer rod to throw 7/8" mr crappie oval rattle float with a 1/80 or 1/64 jighead under it... I always use 4lb line and usually use either a pflueger president reel or a shimano sahara. What would be a good recommendation on a rod that would get me some extra distance. Thanks in advance!

-VCM

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Heaton super sensitive by bnm
    TOO MANY IDIOTS TO FEW BULLETS

Post Thanks / Like

What length do you prefer on that rod Big H?

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I forgot to add that I would really love to have a TN handle on the rod

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to agree with you Big H the B n M Sam Heaton super sensitive i currently have 3 of them and all 3 are 10ft! Ive been using both BnM and Wally Marshall for years I like both setups but nothing can compare to the Sam's Heaton super sensitive!

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Handle a lot, there's lots to choose from. Float fishing uses a different rod for me. I like a 7' at the least, and the longer the better if the cover permits. Shakespeare Micro graphite rods at Wally are under $20 and will do fine, but if it's longer you want, the choices are many. Some jig rods have a very soft tip and I don't think they work well with a float. Too stiff and the bait will suffer. I use the BnM Bucks Graphite Jig Pole and like em fine, but the Sam Heaton has a big following.I tried to fish Shiners with a 7 1/2' flipping stick once, couldn't load the rod for the cast. Be patient and check out all you can before you pull the trigger.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 7.5 ft St Croix that I use for my float fishing. It is light weight and super sensitive with a good parabolic bend. I have a couple 9 ft Super Sam's and they are good also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big H trucking View Post
    Sam Heaton super sensitive by bnm
    I totally agree. Great rods.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

IMO if you plan on fishing a jig 7-10' under the float. The rods do not have to be that sensitive. He is not going to feel the bite the float will indicate the strike. You need a rod that is not too stiff but not too flimsy. If the rod is too stiff you can't throw as far and have if it is too flimsy the hook set is not as good when fishing deep. I fish a jig 8-10' under a float a lot this time of year and have always used an 8' Wally Marshall and loved it. I broke the Wally Marshall last year and bought the Sam Heaton at Wal-Mart. I hated it becuase it was too stiff. (probably a great rod and not bashing that rod, I may have just bought one that was too stiff. When I bought it I was planning on using it for trolling too.) I just bought another rod and used it twice last week and I like it so far. It is a Bass Pro brand 8.5' float and fly rod. It is made for fishing a jig deep under a cork. A lot of guys use them for fish smallies but I read the reviews and one guy bought it for crappie fishing and like it so I thought I would give it a try and so far so good. I got the 8.5' medium lite with fast action Here is the link to the rod. Bass Pro ShopsŪ Micro Lite™ Graphite Float 'n' Fly Spinning Rods | Bass Pro Shops
    "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You might want to look into one of these : BNM Fishing

The F&F rod on the left comes in 9 & 10 foot lengths, and a long Tenn cork handle.

The Duckworth F&F rod on the right only comes in 8ft length, and a short cork handle w/fixed reel seat, with counterbalance weights in the butt of the handle.

I did some fieldtesting on the Duckworth rod, for BnM ... and have two of them. They're my first choice for any method using a float. The 9 & 10ft F&F rods were not on the market when I was doing the fieldtest work, so I have no experience with them. Both of my Duckworth F&F rods have Mitchell 308x reels on them, and balance out real good.

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast