Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pontoons on my yak

Post Thanks / Like

Default pontoons on my yak

I thought some of you might be interested in a little more stability.This is a photo of the pontoons I made for my future beach angler. I used pvc pipe, lobster trap buoys, and some aluminum angle and flat stock for attachment point. They can be folded up by removing one bolt on each side.<BR><BR>&nbsp;<BR>

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious but why not get a kayak model that is appropriate for you needs? Rather than trying make an inappropriate boat suitable.

Post Thanks / Like

That looks pretty sweet. bfish every have a bass boat pull a hallshot coming out of a no wake zone on you an you'll understand the need to them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tony2innc View Post
    ...bfish every have a bass boat pull a hallshot coming out of a no wake zone on you an you'll understand the need to them.
    Matter of fact, last time I was out, I was mostly fishing a cut which leads to a popular marine and boat launch, had at least 30 boats have a holeshot coming out of no wake zone. Same trip different area, I had a 30 ft cruiser (which was in the channel) go by me less than 30 yds away (I was fishing the channel edge). No issues, which is sort of my point. JMO but you should use a boat appropriate for your water conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

bfish, if I was concerned about a boat appropriate for all my needs I wouldn't have been out in a kayak, but the regular crappie rig or my 20'7'' trout boat. I thought some might see that they can add some stability without a lot of expense. Some folks can't afford the big boats or have storage issues. And by the way that kayak has spent more time in salt water than crappie lakes and conditions can change quickly there.

Post Thanks / Like

Just saying, I don't use a sledge hammer to hang a picture, nor a framing hammer to bust concrete. Both are hammers but they are not always an appropriate tool.

Just my concern with pontoons, is that one is trusting them to provide stability (in a potentially dangerous situation) rather than using a boat that is stable.

If you want to use them, knock yourself out. For me, I would never fish with someone that insist on using them, I prefer not to have to worry about my fishing partner. If their boat can't handle the conditions, then they need to stay on shore. Just my opinion.

To each their own.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    Just saying, I don't use a sledge hammer to hang a picture, nor a framing hammer to bust concrete.

Do you also buy a new truck when you want to go offroad, or do you put offroad tires on it? Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eminart View Post
    ..Just curious.
    I don't take a car off road:

Name:  5784921004_d975c7f372.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  132.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Where did you find the bouys, i have a 15 ft aluminum canoe i want to make a set for.

Post Thanks / Like

If I remember correctly, they may have come from kayakfishingstuff.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast