Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Blake!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jerry Blake!

What size and kind of anchors do you use? I have 2 mushrooms that won't hold my boat still if the wind is blowing anymore than 10 mph! It's real frustrating when I have customers and I can't hold on one spot for long!!

Thanks, Jason
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry told me he does not even have an anchor in his boat at all. He uses his electric trolling motor to work around structure.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

J.T. Mushroom anchors are only good for small light craft in calm waters. To hold in a wind you need something with flukes on it so it will dig in. A 3-4 ft piece of chain on it will make it work even better and it doesn't have to be a heavy anchor. For instance, a 6lb anchor will hold a boat 16-25 ft. West Marine has some good articles on them and some that would do the job for you for about 10 bucks.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J.T. Crappie Guide
    What size and kind of anchors do you use? I have 2 mushrooms that won't hold my boat still if the wind is blowing anymore than 10 mph! It's real frustrating when I have customers and I can't hold on one spot for long!!

Thanks, Jason
    Hey Jason:

Ed is right - I don't anchor - just ease around with my trolling motor.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anchors Away!!!

I saw Jerry's trolling motor. It will put his boat up on plane. lol. Just kidding of course.

Cane Pole
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long Rope and a good angle helps

Having the right anchor with something that can dig into the bottom and still not get stuck helps. I like to let out a lot of rope so that the angle of the rope to the bottom is not too steep. That helps hold the boat better.

I rarely anchor unless I need to stay in one spot. Even when night fishing with lights I often failed to anchor. But I may anchor next summer as I hear that it helps to catch the fish at night with the underwater lights.

I have a 50lb thrust Min-Kota trolling motor and a new Optima Blue Top Marine Deep cycle battery that allows my 16ft boat to stay in place with a wind under 15mph. A 20mph wind or wind gust of 20mph or higher will blow me backwards even when I am using the highest setting on the trolling motor. One days when the wind blow hard I just duck into a protected cove or stay home.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Chene anchor and it is supposed to be 100% retrievable. Also it's not as heavy as others, like the one for 16' - 25' is only 4#. Below is the features of the anchor:

Chene Anchor Kits
    The shank configuration on this versatile, value-packed anchor provides 45° of holding surface, allowing the large flukes to penetrate deeply for a sure grip on the bottom. The slip-shank angle makes this anchor 100% retrievable. Solid steel with a durable zinc plating for long life. And there's a size to fit most pleasure and fishing boats.
    Available:
    16-ft. to 25-ft.
    26-ft. to 30-ft.
    31-ft. to 35-ft.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Default sand anchors

I fish at the coast alot so I have sand anchors with a 4 ft chain - I have one good size anchor due t the swift currents in the sounds during the changing tides - I have a smaller one also for when a second anchor is needed - these anchors work well crappie fishing also - make sure you get the galvinized because those plastic coated things are awful - the chain also - they have 4' sections that are plastic coated and look pretty but after one use they want to ball up and become unmanagable - I use the 5/8" chain as it seems to hold alot better than the 1/2 "

crap-king
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crap-king
    I fish at the coast alot so I have sand anchors with a 4 ft chain - I have one good size anchor due t the swift currents in the sounds during the changing tides - I have a smaller one also for when a second anchor is needed - these anchors work well crappie fishing also - make sure you get the galvinized because those plastic coated things are awful - the chain also - they have 4' sections that are plastic coated and look pretty but after one use they want to ball up and become unmanagable - I use the 5/8" chain as it seems to hold alot better than the 1/2 "

crap-king
    Any normal anchor would be lost, snagged on the bottom here on T-Bend. However the Chene is different and once you get back right over it, you can pull it up because of the way it's made.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Moose1am is correct, the more rope you have out the better it is gonna hold. With my Bass Tracker is use the minkota electric (front & rear) with a 20lb river anchor. Depends on mph of wind to determine length of rope to put out. I use 2-30lb river anchors on my pontoon boat. If the wind is blowing 15-30 mph, I let out about 75 feet of rope. Try this your boat will not move. If you are fishing one of your tops, you need to go up wind 75 feet (or what ever amount of feet of rope you are putting out) to drop your anchor.

R & R
    "Just one more drop of my Jig"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast