Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: shenango 4/29/06

Post Thanks / Like

Default shenango 4/29/06

fished shenango yesterday caught and took home 15 crappie. they were all 11 to 13 inches.i was using minnows fishing about 1.5 to 2 feet deep under bobber.this all took place at golden run in about 2hrs.going to try it again today

Post Thanks / Like

How many feet down were the fish? I am heading up today to try from shore. Thanks and good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

So what is up with the slow bite at Cowanesque other than the fact that I have been told by some that there simply aren't any fish in that lake!

When I try to relate the local season to the fish bite - I'd say that is seems regardless of the surface water temp., the crappie won't turn on untill well past the apple blossom - and will be very good fishing after the locus tree bloom and when the skunk weed is in bloom bring the little kids for a good time catching.

But then I also keep a few hives of honey bees so I tend to notice the sequence of blooms.

Right now around Cowanesque lake the pear tree bloom is getting started but the apple trees are a little bit off yet. What is in bloom around places where the crappie are already in the shallows like Shenango?
    I remember last year hearing the humm of honey bees on the sweet smell of locus bloom along the north shore of Cowanesque - but I don't remember if I was catching fish or not at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know much about apple blossoms but when the dog woods bloom they hit at Shenango and Pymatuning. Shenango yesterday 42 keepers, today 18 keepers. I'll hit Pymatuning tommorrow for some eyes and crappies.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dogwoods

I do believe those puffs of white I see on the hillsides surrounding Cowaneque are wild dogwood trees in bloom.
    And last night was my first crappie dinner:D

Post Thanks / Like

Default bloom

There certainly is a lot of wild dogwood trees and apple trees in bloom around the Cowenesque valley now. The bite got started the week of the 8th but then it slowed during this week of cold rainy weather. It'll be back next week and be a hot time for the free fish day on the 27th!:D