Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spooling A Spinning Reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spooling A Spinning Reel

It is an age old question, "how do you spool a spinning reel" so as to not get the loops coming off when you open the bail.

How do you guys do it at home? I watched a You Tube video where a guy holds the reel facing the spool of line on the floor. He turns the spools and says it is turning counter clock-wise. Then he says the line needs to come off the spool counter clock wise.

When you hold the reel that way it does look like it is turning counter clock wise. When you look at the reel face to face, it looks like it is turning clock wise.

Any thoughts on this? I have tried it both ways. Both seem to loop when you open the reel even with the reel not completely full.

How do you spool your spinning reels in order to not experience those loops? I understand about not over filling the spool.
    Jerry Bo Bryant [Matthew 4:19]

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the reel. All my reels are Daiwa's or Shimano's. They tell you to spool them just like you would a baitcaster, with the spool vertical (not lying on the floor.) For other reels, the method you describe works, too.

Also ... the better the reel, the fewer loops you will have.

Post Thanks / Like

The best thing I have found to do that helps me is when you spool your reel do not run the line through all the eyes on your rod. Run the line through the bottom eye only and then spool it. Also I have tried putting the spool in hot water after it is spooled and that helps take some of the memory out of the line. The best thing though is running it throught the bottom eye though. Hope this helps.
    "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a mark out in my yard for the distance to pull new line off of it's manufacturer's spool...

Then I reel the line onto my spinning reel...

This tactic is the same as dragging the line behind the boat to uncoil the spirals...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

When spooling a reel, you have to make sure that the spool of new line is turning in the same direction as your reel spool. One thing that works well for me is to fill a bowl up about half way with water, put your spool of line in the water and then run the line off the spool so it's turning the same direction as reel (clockwise i believe), put it thru the 1st eye on your rod and tie to your spool. then start reeling, the wet line goes on the reel real good, just make sure that you hold the line above your reel a little as your reeling so that the line goes on your reel tight. If your line goes on the reel loose, it will cause the problems that you are having, but the line being wet will help to. Good luck.
    Simple Life = Better Life

Post Thanks / Like

I live really close to a Cabela's, so I usually just take the reel and line in to have it spooled. They have a line winding machine.

When I did it at home, I took the spool off the reel and used an electric drill. I had a long, thin screw that fit through the spool and into the drill. I used a nut to hold the spool on the screw and wound it on. You have to be careful the line doesn't bunch up on one part of the spool.
    Don't worry, catch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Since no one does it like me I must be wrong.

Leave the spool in the box as it comes from the manufacture and pull the line out the hole in the side of the box.
    Thrown the box on the floor and start reeling.
    Being in the box, you will have a little tension on the line.

I was told that is what the hole in the side is for.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the gun barrel method. Looking down the length of the rod (from the butt to the tip) turn the handle to see which way the bail turns around the reel-spool. Hang the spool on the wall so the line is coming off in the same direction as the bail turns around the reel-spool (if the bail is turning clockwise the line should come off the right side of the spool). Like slab-in-the-box, I feed the line through the eye closest to the reel only.

You can put the spool on the floor or in a bucket of water as others have mentioned. The important thing is that line is coming off the spool in the same direction as it's being taken up by the reel. It's easiest to see/imagine if you look down the length of the rod (like you sighting a rifle).
    Name:  Spool direction.jpg
Views: 4931
Size:  10.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I put my spool on the floor label side up usually to start. Only thread the bottom couple of eyes and make 8 or 10 turns of the reel handle. Now drop the rod slightly to get slack between the rod and the spool of line. Now if the line loops over onto itself just flip the spool over on the floor and try it again. Usually this will cause the line to stop making the loops.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

bdorman ,are you sure that pic is right? To me it looks like the line is coming off the spool ccw and the reel is turning CW.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast