Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: DIY Rod Rack From Lowes

Post Thanks / Like

Default DIY Rod Rack From Lowes

I thought I might share with some people looking to build their own setup as trying to find a used rig or coming up with the cash for new gear just didn't work out for me. I've been trolling for crappie for close to 10 years now and had the advantage of learning from a very proficient fisherman. I was recently able to buy MY OWN BOAT that is strictly for me and fishing. Now that it's paid for I wanted to search out full rigging. I'm cheap and just getting married and purchasing my first house hasn't helped matters. On with the process!

Everything can be bought at Lowes or most home improvement stores. I started out with two front racks with fully adjustable PVC holders. I drew a schematic for them until I have pics of my rig. The rack itself is made out of black metal water pipe(sprinkler line stuff I think). I bouhgt pieces that were already pre cut and threaded wich added to the cost but I was to impaitent to heave Lowes cut to legnth and thread a big pice which would have been cheaper. For a single front rack it consists of two pieces of 3/4" pipe, one 3/4X3/4X1" t-coupling, one piece of 1 inch pipe and a 1" floor mounting plate. Length is up to you and depends on how many rod holders you intend on having as well as how high you want it to sit.

My current rod holders are made simply out of 8" pieces of heavy duty 1-1/2 PVC notched and drilled with a 3/8" hole.

To attach the rod holders to the rack itself I used a 3/4" Galvanized Steel Split Ring Hanger. The item number at lowes is 302049 in case you want to look up what they look like. You will need a 1-1/2" long 3/8"X 16 TPI bolt inserted through the pvc with two nuts to tighten it down to the pipe as well as the Split Ring holder. Once you have it put together simply slid it over the Rack end and tighten the screws. With this set up I've found I can adjust the rod holder up and down as well as left to right all with a 14mm wrench and a phillips head screw driver.

The advantage to using the 3/4"Split Ring Hanger is when you decide to upgrade your rod holders a 3/8" rod holder sold at walmart will screw right into it. They have the same threads as the bolts(3/8" X 16 TPI)

The back rack I have just finished can be made in the same fashion. I opted to make it out of scrap I had laying around and made it removabl in case I wanted to take the rack off while leaving the base attached.

Also If modifications are need to heighth and legnth you can unscrew the whole rack from the base plate, make adjustments and screw it right back on the boat. I hope somebody gets somthing out of this.

I'm a DIY'er and I made everything for Two racks on front as well as 8 PVC rod holders for about $50. While I havn't mounted the back yet I have fished the front racks woth PVC holders for about1.5 months and while I'm upgrading one at a time to real rod holders(just unscrew the pvc holder and thread in the new 3/8" rod holder) they have worked just fine.

If anyone has any questions I'll be glad to help in any way I can. This is in no way ment to say this way is better than store bought. I just don't think limited funds is any reason to give up. EnjoyName:  rod holders 004.jpg
Views: 15235
Size:  50.5 KBName:  rod holders 005.jpg
Views: 9798
Size:  22.1 KBName:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 3661
Size:  17.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Great job and thanks for sharing. There is nothing wrong with a DIY approach to situations, saves money and that's where inventions come from.
    Psalms 27:1 The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?

Post Thanks / Like

good info good thinking and cheap wtg
    If she only knew how much a fish cost me

Depends on the season. but between Warrensburg Mo and south Louisiana is a good place to look
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm now that's what I call helpful! Very nice set up. You get two atta boys for that
    In our government-controlled schools we are taught that Lincoln was our greatest president because his war ended slavery and saved the Union. As usual, the other side of the story – the side that reflects poorly on the government – somehow gets lost. – Richard J. Maybury, The Abe Lincoln Hoax

Post Thanks / Like

What You have there will work just as good as anything on the market. I have seen them built just like that. Works like a charm. Good work.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, I like your thinking.
    RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Post Thanks / Like

Thats nice,,,I would be proud to have that on my rig!
    Yea, I caught a limit! Did'nt you?

Post Thanks / Like

Great job and thanks for the info, it is very valuable to the diy people like me and others that enjoy some of the other hobbies included in the great hobby of fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Totally into the DIY projects....really like it