Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel Preference For An 8' Pro Angler Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reel Preference For An 8' Pro Angler Rod

I got an 8' Pro Angler rod for valentines day. Im not sure what reel I need to get for it though. I will primarily use it for vertical jigging open water and around boat docks. The first eye isn't very big so wasn't sure if I could use a spinning reel or if I need a baitcast reel? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

As long as you are just vertical jigging, a spinning reel will work fine with the small eyes. It's basically just holding your line anyways.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bwillaub is correct if just vertical jigging all you need is something to hold line. May not cast the greatest with the small eye but it will if needed to get up in a boat well. I like a Quantum Optix 10 series for short rods. Only $20 bucks and have had no problems at all with them. I have around 15 of them. Got all my trolling rods rigged up with them also. For a true dipping/vertical rod unjust switched to these little baitcasters from the Wally Marshall brand. These are from grizzly jig and they had them in sale for $20.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Made many mistakes and false starts over the years, too many to detail. Agree with spinning reel, sounds like you're fishing clear and deeper water. You should still be able to cast with the small eye just might limit your distance a bit. Given all that just my opinion top three (1) rated 4-8 lb# line (2) avoid the small mini 100 series type reels, they look compact easy to handle but the small spool causes more memory retention with mono and less drag consistency, if you use braid different story (3) again personal opinion, if you pay more than $40-45 it's over kill. Congrats on the new toy.

Post Thanks / Like

The Pflueger Trion or President are both good reels and easy on the wallet
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

Post Thanks / Like

Spinning if your casting.
    Shimano Sidestabs have never failed me and they are inexpensive.

I personally like the Baitcaster for jigging
    I purchase used baitcasters off ebay. Good reels at real good prices.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

If you are fishing docks, shooting docks, with an 8ft rod, you pretty much are set on a U/L spinning reel. If you don't, you'll wish you had.
    If you are dipping only, then a baitcaster as light as you can get is in order.

I keep an 8ft uncle bucks B&M for casting and shooting and it has a spinner. Dipping 95% of the time so I have several pro angler 10fters all with B&M or bucks bait casters. super light, and never an issue when you are out all day jigging.

I approve every thing I say, and it's my opinion, I was not influenced in any way.
    Last edited by Speck; 02-15-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jigging15 View Post
    Bwillaub is correct if just vertical jigging all you need is something to hold line. May not cast the greatest with the small eye but it will if needed to get up in a boat well. I like a Quantum Optix 10 series for short rods. Only $20 bucks and have had no problems at all with them. I have around 15 of them. Got all my trolling rods rigged up with them also. For a true dipping/vertical rod unjust switched to these little baitcasters from the Wally Marshall brand. These are from grizzly jig and they had them in sale for $20.
    i like that bait cast reel, cant seem to find it at grizzly
    kost plus crappie team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warbird View Post
    i like that bait cast reel, cant seem to find it at grizzly
    Check this website:

Home

Scroll down bout halfway down the page.........was looking at a couple myself.

U

Post Thanks / Like

thanks got me 4 of them bugers
    kost plus crappie team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast