Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eggner Ferry Bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Eggner Ferry Bridge

Any info yet if the KY Lake bridge can be repaired? Do they know yet if it has shifted? If it could be repaired a time frame? Haven't heard anything for a few days.
    Set da hook

Post Thanks / Like

From what the governor said, I'm not sure they are even considering it. Seems like accelerating the new one is the plan.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard there will be a news release on it today. That was reported on 14 Evansville this morning. i would definintely think the state would want to replace considering the age and how narrow it is, that is if the boat insurance will cover replacement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gone_fishing View Post
    I heard there will be a news release on it today. That was reported on 14 Evansville this morning. i would definintely think the state would want to replace considering the age and how narrow it is, that is if the boat insurance will cover replacement.
    A new one has been in the works for years and funding was approved before the accident. Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley Bridge Project - Timeline

The owner of the ship has sued in federal court claiming they were not at fault. http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local...139361093.html
    Last edited by CatFan; 02-15-2012 at 11:31 AM.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Gov was at the bridge this morning...wednesday..

We'll see what he says... If he says anything....

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    A new one has been in the works for years and funding was approved before the accident. Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley Bridge Project - Timeline

The owner of the ship has sued in federal court claiming they were not at fault. Owner of Delta Mariner files lawsuit in Eggners Ferry Bridge incident | WPSD Local 6 - News, Sports, Weather - Paducah KY | Local
    Knew that was coming. Ky. has been terrible about keeping the proper navagation lights lit on all it's bridges. After the accident every light on every bridge was working!

It is gonna be hard to argue that the shipper was not at fault though. Especially since the captain stated that he was clearly negligent by not checking his clearances. Also ANYBODY that runs the TN. River knows that when you make your approach to this bridge, going with the river flow, you SHAPE THE DARN REDS!!! That's where the CHANNEL SPAN IS! The Captain of the vessel was NOT posted on this river. That is the shipper trying to save a buck.

They may be able to get some of the liability shifted to the state due to the lighting issue. They will try to drag this out in court for years! Another thing to consider is... An old law, (The Jones Act), limits a company's liability to the value of the vessel & its cargo. Another issue will be that the vessel was under a government contract. This will get politics involved. Gonna be interesting.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Sound like more wasted TAXPAYER MONEY!! How many times have the working stiffs sat on the sidelines saying "You got to be kidding me!!!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wiskers View Post
    Another thing to consider is... An old law, (The Jones Act), limits a company's liability to the value of the vessel & its cargo. Another issue will be that the vessel was under a government contract. This will get politics involved. Gonna be interesting.
    So that is why the law suit contains a statement of the value of the vessel. IIRC, one of the news reports said there were two Tennessee River pilots onboard.

I kind of imagine the suit is more to get their ducks in a row for what is coming rather than an actual attempt to avoid blame.

I just can't get over the fact that the pilot house was right at the front and would have been the first thing that hit the bridge. As tight as that ship fit under the correct span, I'd have been all over the spotlight making sure I was reading the water level gauge, which is out where they should have been going under.

Not having any experience with it, I'm thinking that the lights being out is no excuse. If the lights are out or confusing, I'm making dang sure I know what span I'm supposed to go under. Looking at my chart, my radar and hitting it with the spotlight.

You could guess at the span if you had 30' of clearance under the correct span, but not when you are that close.

Post Thanks / Like

Typical.

Someone with that much responsibility having an IQ about the same as the water temp.

Can we all say moron?

This will cost us more than the guy piloting the vessel can, probably, even count.

It amazes me how companies will put someone in places of so much liability that will make decisions such as this. I mean come on...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast