Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider Rig Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Rig Question

Ok, I will admit I have never done the spider rig deal. I know pretty much nothing about it so I need to start learning. However the one question I have is with that many rods out how in the heck do you keep from being hung up every minute when you are rigging at Truman? Hell I can lose a bushel basket full with one rod out!

Post Thanks / Like

Boat control!
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not spider rigged on Truman but I have on Reelfoot. If you can rig there, you can anywhere!!! Go slow then slow down some more. Keep a close eye on your lines. They will tell you if they are hung before the rod tip even bends. Plus you will see the light bites quicker

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Both the guys above are correct. Boat control is the key. Go into the wind and go as slow as possible. You don't jab to be in the trees to catch fish. But at times you have to do it to stay in the correct depth/drop off. Watch some videos on YouTube or google searchs they will help get you started or hire a guide who does it. Make sure they are experienced in it. A lot of them doing it now that have only been doing it for the last year or less when the craze really started for the bulk of the fishermen. So they are still learning themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn’t agree more with the boat control, fishing into the wind is a must!!! Setting all you rods exactly the same (same weight jigs same height off the water) will give you lots of information if a particular bait is dragging behind, partially if your fishing deep. Hi vis line really helps, with the water color on Truman I run braid all the way on the spider rigging rods (10lb) also run double jigs w/ (depending on wind and depth) a ¼ to ½ oz bell sinker on the bottom.. this allows you to bounce the sinker off the bottom or use it to bounce your bait free of a snag. On a bad day of fishing I might break-off three times, most days never! Move slow and get your bait out before its too late.

Post Thanks / Like

ok so lets takt rods... will 10' rod work or do you have to have 10',12', ? do they all have to be the same lenght? there is a good thing to watch on in-fisherman on rigging

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel that having all of your rods the same length is a must. It's much easier to keep an eye on them. As far as rod length, that's totally dependent in several factors. I used 12 foot rods for years with great success. If you fish clear or very shallow water, longer poles will not spook fish as bad. I now use 16 footers. It's all in what you can handle

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Depends on the season. but between Warrensburg Mo and south Louisiana is a good place to look
    Post Thanks / Like

Some good info, ill add that you want enough weight so the line is always straight up and straight down! I mean always! That might mean 1/4 ounce total weight or 4 ounces total weight. What ever the conditions call for.
    With the line up and down you will know when you are about to get hung because you line will start to angle, when that happens hit the troller in reverse till the line is straight up and down and pick the rod up and lift the line till it's Over the snag. Again go sloooooow and on Truman braid is a must. Some times you can only troll 2 rods and some times you can troll 8 just depends on how thick of cover your in.
    In our government-controlled schools we are taught that Lincoln was our greatest president because his war ended slavery and saved the Union. As usual, the other side of the story – the side that reflects poorly on the government – somehow gets lost. – Richard J. Maybury, The Abe Lincoln Hoax