Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: knife sharpening

Post Thanks / Like

Default knife sharpening

Hi,

Could someone share what type of filet knife sharpener they use. Also, how often do you sharpen your knife and what sharpening technique do you use. Thanks a bunch!
    JoyJoy
    Lake of the Ozarks
    46 mm

Post Thanks / Like

The best sharpener I have used on a fillet knife is the kind that has two crossed stones that you pull down the length of the blade. This type of sharpener is quick and always gives you an even edge. They don't cost much and they last a lifetime. As far as how often to sharpen, when ye knife takes pressure to cut or seems to "tear" the meat it is time to sharpen.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always used Crock Sticks.And Magnum said it all, if it takes pressure to cut your knife is dull.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a butchers hone steel along long time ago and it still does the job. I keep it with me hunting and fishing, a few passes on it now and then and your knifes like a razor. Use a two sided stone if they get to dull...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

I use a tri hone. This is the only way that I was able to get my knifes sharp. Now you get what you pay for when it comes to knifes. My best fillet knife is a Uncle Henry that will hold an edge alot longer than those cheap ones.
    marvin

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I use an electric fillet knife. However, once you get your new knife sharpened, I would find a ceramic filament from a light bulb. I'm sorry I can't remember what type of light bulb. Blonde moment at this time. The filament is the best thing I have ever used. Just don't drop it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishingpox
    I use an electric fillet knife. However, once you get your new knife sharpened, I would find a ceramic filament from a light bulb. I'm sorry I can't remember what type of light bulb. Blonde moment at this time. The filament is the best thing I have ever used. Just don't drop it.

You're going to have to elaborate a little more on this. You have my curiosity up, now.

Post Thanks / Like

I use diamond stones to sharpen with. It takes some practice to use but once you can use it you can sharpen a knife good. It says it takes about 15-20 sec on it to be like 5-10 min on a wet stone. I get them at BPS or a place over in Gatlinburg, called SmokeyMountainKnifeWorks . They have a web site use can visit if you want to.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishingpox
    If I remember right, they are called "high-pressure sodium" bulbs.
    They used them in several factories where I've worked, but you nearly
    had to whup a maintenance man to get one of them! (they were hoarding
    them for their own use, or selling them) They are terrible
    expensive new, but these were the "shot" ones we were getting the
    filiments out of. About 5/16 or so diameter, and 4" long or so, ceramic.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast