Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Shallow Oxbow Summer Crappie

LuvSumFishin Guest

Default Shallow Oxbow Summer Crappie

Good day everyone. Long time visitor, first time post. I have know LA Stumpjumper for years and had many conversations about our favorite fish. I have a question for all. I fish a local small, shallow (deepest water 14', average depth around 5-6') cypress laden lake almost year round. I have fished this lake for over 20 years and have caught countless 2+ lb fish during December-March. These fish almost disappear the other months of the year, while I can still find and catch fish in the 10" and below length. My night fishing skills are not that great as I have not spent alot of time searching for these bigger fish at night in the summer. Any feedback on a plan of action to find the bigger fish the other 8 months of the year?

Many thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you joined LuvSumFishin. Jerry should be able to put you on those fish with no problem. You've got a good teacher.

From what I know growing up on small oxbows, slow trolling about "tittie deep" (as my grandfather would say) is a good technique to try. In late May and June, find the deepest water and try this technique. I find it best to drag a chain and let the wind push you slowly. What lake are you fishing?

LuvSumFishin Guest

Ceb,

Jerry told me about the trip to Morgan Point, and I saw the pics. Good Day! I have caught some good fish there the last few years, one of my favorite holes.

I fish alot of the same lakes Jerry fishes, but I have a place on Lake Wallace south of Dermott, so I spend alot of time out behind the house. I can catch alot of the smaller fish using similar techniques as you described but never really get on the bigger fish that I know are there.

I plan on doing more night fishing this summer than I have in the past. Maybe I can get the big fish to bite then.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had too much success during summer months. I usually put it up after the spawn, and bream fish until September. I have met lots of good people via this site, and with a little help maybe I can find 'em this summer too.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum LuvSumFishin, good to have another crappie fisherman from S E Arkansas. You can get a lot of good info here and meet a lot of good people.

A bad day of fishing
    beats a good day at work.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

I troll in the summer months till I find um!
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello!

LSF; It's good to have you!! I fish summer and oxbows alot, and I try to find deep cover. If there isn't any, I'd put some in the deepest part. Hope this helps.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Oxbow Guest

Default New to thread

I am considering an offer to purchase a lot on Lake Chicot in SE Ark. since you all are famaliar with this area I would like some feedbach on what the crappie fishing is like on this lake. Any comments on size and quality of fish in the lake would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Chicot is a very good crappie lake also good bass and catfish. I haven't been much this year, but I caught a lot of good crappie down there last year.

A bad day of fishing
    beats a good day at work.

Jerry

LuvSumFishin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Oxbow
    I am considering an offer to purchase a lot on Lake Chicot in SE Ark. since you all are famaliar with this area I would like some feedbach on what the crappie fishing is like on this lake. Any comments on size and quality of fish in the lake would be appreciated.
    Oxbow,

Although still a great crappie lake, Chicot has had a few down years lately. Due to several events, including how the Corps of Engineers managed the Connerly Bayou Dam, lake levels fluctuated several years in a row around the spawn and really messed things up. But, I believe the length and daily catch limit are helping. The AGFC and others have collaborated to build a hatchery pond that will be used to supplement the crappie numbers on the lake. I'm not sure of the exact number of fish they plan to add on an annual basis but it is a positive step to return the crappie fishing to what it was 10+ years ago.

The lake has all types of cover to fish. There are several areas of cypress flats, deep water (28+) for extreme weather fishing, and lots of sunken cover around docks and personal honeyholes. I have had success all over the lake, but I really like the south end of the lake around the county park and Ditch Bayou areas and catch some big fish.

My family and I also have a great time catching as many catfish as you want to mess with.

Outside of the recreational value to you personally, I think a purchase on the lake would be a good investment. There are very few lake lots left.

At what point on the lake would your lot be located?