Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long lining ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long lining ?

I am going to get into this this year. I was thinking of running a 8, 10, 12 and 14ft pole out of each side of the boat. Is this enough separation in the poles and should I only run 3 poles instead of 4? Using a hi-tek holder for the rods to sit in.

Post Thanks / Like

I run 5',7',10',13' and 16 on each side. Just gotta watch your lines close.

Post Thanks / Like

Ill be watching to see what the long liners say. GOING TO TRY IT MYSELF.

Post Thanks / Like

It is very addictive, just remember, do not stop for anything and make real wide sweeping turns.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 3 on each side with a 4' gap (typically 12, 8 and 4ft). Then I run four rods off the back. I'm still pretty new to longlining, and this is what works for me. I'm sure some of the more experienced guys can run 4 or 5 on each side with less gap, but I get the lines crossed too often.

Post Thanks / Like

tried it a few times last year,gonna learn this year or else,gonna go 6,10,14,18ft poles so i will have 4ft of seperation,and i think from what little i tried it last year u need your rod tips as close to the water as u can get them

Post Thanks / Like

I run 8, 12 and 16 pulling cranks. Sounds like I might better go for a little more separation. Might go 5, 8, 12 and 16. Keep the insight coming.

Post Thanks / Like

That's my spread on the front sides of my boat works great and I agree don't stop for nothing keep trolling.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=blueball;1800352]tried it a few times last year,gonna learn this year or else,gonna go 6,10,14,18ft poles so i will have 4ft of seperation,and i think from what little i tried it last year u need your rod tips as close to the water as u can get them[/QUOTE

I keep mine about a foot off the water to give me room to sweep a longer rod under a short to avoid tangles with spunky fish. Might not be ideal but works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

when i tried it a few times last year if the wind was blowing it would blow my lines around,even added a small split shot to my line,others around me was having no trouble and they had their lines as close to the water as they could get them
    [QUOTE=huntinslabs;1800375]
    Quote Originally Posted by blueball View Post
    tried it a few times last year,gonna learn this year or else,gonna go 6,10,14,18ft poles so i will have 4ft of seperation,and i think from what little i tried it last year u need your rod tips as close to the water as u can get them[/QUOTE

I keep mine about a foot off the water to give me room to sweep a longer rod under a short to avoid tangles with spunky fish. Might not be ideal but works for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast