PDA

View Full Version : Long lining ?

Handicrappie
02-13-2012, 06:03 PM
I am going to get into this this year. I was thinking of running a 8, 10, 12 and 14ft pole out of each side of the boat. Is this enough separation in the poles and should I only run 3 poles instead of 4? Using a hi-tek holder for the rods to sit in.

huntinslabs
02-13-2012, 06:22 PM
I run 5',7',10',13' and 16 on each side. Just gotta watch your lines close.

Swampfoot
02-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Ill be watching to see what the long liners say. GOING TO TRY IT MYSELF.

huntinslabs
02-13-2012, 06:29 PM
It is very addictive, just remember, do not stop for anything and make real wide sweeping turns.

lostdog
02-13-2012, 06:34 PM
I use 3 on each side with a 4' gap (typically 12, 8 and 4ft). Then I run four rods off the back. I'm still pretty new to longlining, and this is what works for me. I'm sure some of the more experienced guys can run 4 or 5 on each side with less gap, but I get the lines crossed too often.

blueball
02-13-2012, 06:46 PM
tried it a few times last year,gonna learn this year or else,gonna go 6,10,14,18ft poles so i will have 4ft of seperation,and i think from what little i tried it last year u need your rod tips as close to the water as u can get them

Handicrappie
02-13-2012, 06:51 PM
I run 8, 12 and 16 pulling cranks. Sounds like I might better go for a little more separation. Might go 5, 8, 12 and 16. Keep the insight coming.

drill instructor
02-13-2012, 06:53 PM
That's my spread on the front sides of my boat works great and I agree don't stop for nothing keep trolling.

huntinslabs
02-13-2012, 07:00 PM
[QUOTE=blueball;1800352]tried it a few times last year,gonna learn this year or else,gonna go 6,10,14,18ft poles so i will have 4ft of seperation,and i think from what little i tried it last year u need your rod tips as close to the water as u can get them[/QUOTE

I keep mine about a foot off the water to give me room to sweep a longer rod under a short to avoid tangles with spunky fish. Might not be ideal but works for me.

blueball
02-13-2012, 07:47 PM
when i tried it a few times last year if the wind was blowing it would blow my lines around,even added a small split shot to my line,others around me was having no trouble and they had their lines as close to the water as they could get them

[QUOTE=blueball;1800352]tried it a few times last year,gonna learn this year or else,gonna go 6,10,14,18ft poles so i will have 4ft of seperation,and i think from what little i tried it last year u need your rod tips as close to the water as u can get them[/QUOTE

I keep mine about a foot off the water to give me room to sweep a longer rod under a short to avoid tangles with spunky fish. Might not be ideal but works for me.

huntinslabs
02-13-2012, 07:54 PM
when i tried it a few times last year if the wind was blowing it would blow my lines around,even added a small split shot to my line,others around me was having no trouble and they had their lines as close to the water as they could get them
[QUOTE=huntinslabs;1800375]

Blueball, my boat is soo light i have no choice but to turn and go straight into a strong wind. Light winds i have had no issues.

SeaRay
02-13-2012, 07:55 PM
The consensus on trolling speed seems to be .3 to .75 MPH for spider rigging. Is this true for longlining as well. The slowest I can run my TM is 1 MPH. Any ideas on slowing it down? I have a drift sock but can imagine getting it tangled in the lines. Also thought of cutting down a prop just to use for this.
What do you guys recommend until I can afford an I-Pilot?
SeaRay

huntinslabs
02-13-2012, 08:25 PM
I start at .8 and move up till till i get em going good, usually around 1.2 seems to be the lucky number.

Handicrappie
02-13-2012, 08:28 PM
.3 is the fastest we ever try and go when spider rigging. Not sure about everyone else but the slower usually means the better for us.

huntinslabs
02-13-2012, 08:37 PM
If ya longline that slow you will be dragging muddy.

skeetbum
02-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Searay, try a 5 gallon bucket with LOTS of holes tight behind the outboard. You might have to drill more holes or make em bigger but that works good and its cheap enough.

gabowman
02-14-2012, 10:16 AM
.3 mph for spider rigging.... .8-1.0 mph for longlining. I pull 1 5'. 1 5.5', 1 6', 1 8', 1 10', 1 12' off each side of the motor all rods across the back of my boat. I have very close to 2' of space between lines. When longlining youre gonna get tangles and can expect it. Being attentive and catching 'em QUICK helps avoid tangles. Hi-vis line also helps avoid tangles as you can see which way the fish is running so you can counter with your retrieve.

bdorman
02-14-2012, 10:29 AM
My home lake is only 3/4-mile long by less than 1/4-mile wide so I have to make fairly tight turns pretty often.

As a result, I add a 3/8 oz. weight 18" in front of my jigs. It gets me the depth I want but keeps my jigs within 20-30 feet of my transom.

I don't have GPS so I don't know what speed I normally troll at, but I assume it's around 1 mph. Funny thing is that often I get immediate bites if I really kick up the speed. It's usually because I've decided to move to the other side of the lake and want to get there in a hurry. I'll gun the TM, get up to speed and then BAM! one or two hits.

brushnjigs
02-14-2012, 12:48 PM
check your pm box

creekslick
02-14-2012, 01:00 PM
1.0 seems to be the magic number on Greers.

Dongotto
02-14-2012, 01:04 PM
tried it a few times last year,gonna learn this year or else,gonna go 6,10,14,18ft poles so i will have 4ft of seperation,and i think from what little i tried it last year u need your rod tips as close to the water as u can get them

Thats the same length I run and it works well for me.

NIMROD
02-14-2012, 01:11 PM
I used to spiderrig many years ago, to me jigging is much more fun. Love that thump. Trolling is productive alot of the time.

T.C.
02-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Alot of good info passed along so far. One thing that helps out alot if having your rods where you can grab em and keep tension on the fish. I see alot of people longline out of the front with the rod holders in the same position that they use them to spiderrig. This is not a good idea. I have 2 extra bases on my boat that are mounted further back. This way when im fishing I have to reach back to grab the rods and keeping tension on the fish is easier. When yo uhave to lean way up and grab a rod and then bring it back to you so you can reel your just giving the fish a chance to come off. I always face the back when i troll so i can keep a eye on my rods in the front and back.

jimp
02-14-2012, 07:38 PM
and I use only 2 rods, one of each side of the bow (I'm lazy and don't want to deal with the tangles), both 7'. Speed varies depening on conditions and what the fish want, but from .7mph on up to 1.5mph at times. Where I LL I can't make any turns other than U turns so I crank 'em in and let 'em back out on the return trip. This is the primary reason I only use 2 rods, but have used a 3rd at times depending on where I am.

Searay, you could try putting your drift sock on the front cleat and keep a short lead on it so it will stay within the lenght of the boat. I tried this method before I got my Terrova/IP combo and it worked for me on a 17.5' boat with 2 rods out. I was able to reduce the speed down but don't remember how much. Depending on your boat, a small drift sock will help a decent amount but I'm not an expert on drift socks.