Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best time to use a road runner?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best time to use a road runner?

Pretty new to crappie fishing, I mostly fish for bass. I like to cover water so I usually gravitate towards a road runner or spinners. Are these good at any time? I'm assuming the retrieve depends entirely on what depth the fish are located, but what would the normal retrieve be? Looking for any insight -- Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fairly sure that Roadrunners are good anytime of the year. Count it down to the proper depth (that you think crappie may be holding or just over the top of cover). And, as crappiepappy always says, if you think you are fishing it too slow, slow down even more.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't fish it wrong as long as you fish it slow. Anytime of day will do, they are pretty good at catching just about anything in the water (Crappie, Perch, Bluegill, Shellcracker, Bass, Catfish). Finding the right color combination is about the only challenge other than size. Char/black/char is my favorite but white/blue/white is a close second.

Post Thanks / Like

I was using a Roadrunner yesterday for the first time and was wondering, do I retrieve fast enough to just make the blade spin, or does it matter if the blade spins or not?

Did catch a couple with it, on my new 7' ul which was fun :D.

Sorry if it seemed I was hijacking the thread but my question seemed to fit in.

thanks!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe58
    Did catch a couple with it, on my new 7' ul which was fun :D.

It seems like you were working it just right. My biggest problem was having enough confidence in it (casting to crappie in general) to put forth the effort. I don't think that there is a wrong way to fish it. Try different speeds and maybe work a twitch in there every so often until you find what style of retrieve they want.

Post Thanks / Like

I use road runners from early spring until late fall. There is always a rod or two in the boat that has a road runner tied on. I use 1/16th oz for crappie but when the walleye get up on the main lake points at night in the summer I use 1/4 oz. There is never a wrong time to use a road runner in my opinion. Most people that I have seen use road runners use them way to fast and yes you will catch fish that way but you will catch more if you slow down. In the summer months you may need to count down the road runner before reeling in in order to catch the crappie but count down and slow retrieve will catch them.

Joe58 -- that blade will spin when reeled in slowly, I like i to spin but no it doesn't have to to catch fish, it will still give of flash and that's what it is for!

Good fishin!
    Don't take life so seriously, no one lives through it anyhow!!

Post Thanks / Like

As everyone said (slow). I seem to catch more fish on them when the water temps. get into the 70s and or has some stain. That may be the confidence thing though, i'm usually pitching tubes or minners till the water warms. As MoSam said, i've allways got at least a rod or two rigged and ready...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

I use road runner heads year round and do very well. Fish them slow and match what they are biting on and you will have a good day out on the lake.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes using the 1/32 oz. helps I think. When they are picky and not so aggressive. I also like it trolling around the grass better unless they are deeper, say 11-15'.

I do use the 1/16 also and both will catch fish.

Like Blakemore says, you can't fish it wrong as long as you fish it slow!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Road Runners work year round. Vary the size depending on water depth and speed of retreive to get the presentation you want. Have good success with them especially in the early spring at the spillway bumping just off the bottom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast