Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some info on Bull Shoals Lake. The area around Isabella, Missouri.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some info on Bull Shoals Lake. The area around Isabella, Missouri.

I will be there at the end of March for three days. I have never been to Bull Shoals Lake; So, any information would be very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Think walleye!!! I go there a few times a year and absolutely love that lake. You may hit it just right for a pre spawn walleye trip. Mike Worley is a good guide down there.

They do catch a lot of crappie down there, but I love chasing the walleye when I'm there.

Post Thanks / Like

The water is super clear. If you can find any brush around 15ft and to the bank you will probably find some fish. Finding good flats down there can be hard to find. You may have to do some running to find the crappie but when you do find them they should be nice size.

Post Thanks / Like

What area of the lake are you going to fish? I think that's a little early for the best fishing, but the lake has lots of beautiful fish. Wood cover is VERY important. Early in the season we catch BIG crappie on jerk baits while bass fishing.
    I'm sure live bait works, but I never bother with it on Bull Shoals.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I hope to catch some walleye. Never been walleye fishing. I will mainly be looking for crappie. I will be fishing the area around the Ridgewood Resort. missouri ozarks bull shoals lake fishing family vacation resorts-ridgewood resort

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you'll be launching into Spring Creek which is up the Theodosia arm.
    That's real good crappie water both in Spring Creek itself and outin the Theodosia arm.
    Water is NOT ALWAYS gin glear, but it can be.
    Wood cover is a premium as are boat docks in the right water depth.

Pretty decent White Bass run in the back of the Spring Creek arm.

BUY A MAP of East Bull Shoals. Look carefully for areas where you could run aground. I don't expect the lake to be low, but do make note of the daily lake level by calling 870-431-5311 and compare that to your map. There is one dangerous spot in Spring Creek itself and others up the Theodosia arm. DO NOT CUT CORNERS. Some of the points extend way out into the lake and bedrock isn't very forgiving on lower units and boat hulls.
    Catch a bunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I am hoping to catch a lot. But, even if we don't it will still be a lot of fun. The price for the cabins and boat rental is really low, so; if we catch a bunch we will go back.

Post Thanks / Like

The rates on the cabins did seem VERY reasonable. It shouls be warmer than Indiana about then too.
    Fall trips can also be very productive.

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

1/16-1/8 oz roadrunner,Redhead,Chart tail their are brush piles around most docks and you can get a topo map at cranfields in mountain home that has the hotspots on it.Shows the brush piles.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

I am heading down there on Friday (3-8-13). You will be just off Big Boy point. (I have been to that resort before I bought a place down there.) I actually find the best crappie fishing off the docks. (most of the docks there are private) I know Ginny has a dock available for use. Most of the dock/slip owners hang brush down in their stall on each inside corner towards where the front of the boat would be if pulled into the slip. On average, I find the crappie about 12 ft down around the hanging brush. A simple minnow on a yellow or orange #4 walleye wide gap hook with 2 small split shot about 6" up from the hook does the job. (Ask for crappie minnows at Shockey's, It's real close to the resort on HH) Plastic crappie jigs and swim minnows work also, but minnows seemed the most productive. I was down at the beginning of Jan and it was very tough. After 1 or 2 crappie, they would stop biting and we would have to move to a different location. If you get bored... drop your minnow to the bottom (in 20-30 ft of water) and reel up 1-2 revolutions. We caught 3/4-1.5 lb kentucky bass ALL day. Not big, but fun when the bite slowed down. I did get a nice one on Jan 6.. (see picture.) I will let you know how the bite is when I get down there.Name:  Crappie.jpg
Views: 2531
Size:  25.5 KB

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast