Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pole and reel help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pole and reel help

I been looking at some new crappie poles and reels. What do you think is the best ones? I have can up with some of the Capps an Coleman trolling rods. I have never did any trolling but like to do some or would it be better to get a jig pole and Jig and troll with them? I looking at at a 12,14, 16 foot. I have done more jigs/live bait with my dad old fish-pole reel combo type. Will I be able to use any of the poles for bait casting also? Now anyone like to take me under there wing and help and teach me i do my best to be a fast learner. Thanks for any help

Post Thanks / Like

63 looks and no helper. Wow I must stink like fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gindog View Post
    63 looks and no helper. Wow I must stink like fish
    No, it's just that this question gets asked regularly. If you search the forum, you'll find tons of threads (and tons of opinions.)

Post Thanks / Like

DBD is right, but before you buy dedicated rigs for trolling you can always troll with just about anything to make sure you want to fish that way.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I sorry form repete qustion here guys.
    I don't know much on trolling at all. And I do keep a search on here about it. I hear all about the poles but not much on reels. Will just any old reel work like a old zep 33 (box reel) , dose a spin cast type work better or even a open face type reel? When you troll do most use a cork with long line dragging or with line hanging up and down. I look at some sites that look like poles where up and down if so how high should pole be off water. Will the higher the better to keep tips up? I sure there been ask but I have seen any. Ok I stop here thanks

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

For reels I like the 2000 series reels for the smoother drag and bigger spools, which don't create such a tight coil in the mono. I prefer the open face for a lot of reasons. Lately there's some good enough reels available for just over $10 and up, and they are really just line holders with a drag so there's no need for spending lots unless you just want to. I use some Diawa Sweepfire reels in the 2000 series that were $12 and they work fine. Loosen the drag so it's not super tight when you're done for the day and they will last a long time. I have some cheap Shimano's that are over 10 yrs old and still doing fine. The rods can do double duty so what I use are the BnM Bucks Graphite Jig Pole and cast, troll and jig with em. If you change your mind and want different poles you can always sell em here on cdc, or just keep em for another task. I have rods from 5 to 12 feet and use em all at one time or another. BnM sells replacement tip sections for their rods in case one is ever broken which few companies do.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Like Grizz said, you can troll with just about anything. I use the same rods for trolling, casting and slip-bobbering. I'd add that the rods should be light to medium light power with fast action. Crappie don't hammer your bait like a bass so you need to see the smallest movement of your rod tip. Any type of reel that you're comfortable with will work. IMHO what's more important is the line. I use only 4# or 6# trolling a 1/16 or 1/8 oz. jig. I add a 3/8 oz weight ahead of my jigs to shorten the amount of line I need to let out to achieve the depth I want.

Name:  trolling rig set-up.jpg
Views: 11054
Size:  15.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks that help out a lot skeetbum. I was think I need a hight price reel to do it with. I have some bait cast I will try and pick up a open face to try also.

Borman With that setup can you run 2 or 3 jigs on the same line but just up line 18" from where you have the bullet weight at or is there a better way to set up 2 jigs on one line? I see I going to have make a trip to bait shop today? I don't think I have any reel with any #6 line. Can you just Ty the line to the heavier line I have on now?