Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: hook size

Post Thanks / Like

Default hook size

Ihave got to using a 3/0 hook with minnows for crappie, seem to have better results. than with a 2/0, on crappie and I favor a larger hook with jigs.
    ? what size hook do you like , and why

Post Thanks / Like

Wife and I fish about 100 days out of the year,and our main interest are panfish,especially crappie.We do very,very well in open water with a #6 or #8 gold aberdeen hook,with a small fathead.We tried bigger hook but our success rate dropped.Also tried red hooks and they seemed not to work as well as the gold ones.
    mr crappie hunter

Post Thanks / Like

I use 2"s ov everything-Crappie,Gills, Shellcrackers,Ect. . Welcome to the Board!!
    Last edited by DENNIS BOWERS; 04-29-2006 at 12:56 PM.
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Eagle Claw, #6, long shank, light wire cricket hook. They're sharp as needles so they penetrate fully to the hackle preventing straightening and the long shank helps in removal.

I know that is a small, flexible hook but I also use 10 and 11 foot graphite rods with 8lb test XT with the floats and 6lb test Ande (envy or pink) with the jigs and often land and rarely loose large fish. For example so far this year we've boated a 12lb8oz cat, 11lb6oz striper and numerous other cats and drum patrolling our brushpiles approaching or exceeding the 5lb. range.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default hooks

Thanks for input, guess Iam the only guy thst likes bigger hooks 3/0 for crappie only,. I use size 10 eagle claw kahle style for perch and small bullheads.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 04-28-2006 at 10:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a # 2 gold hook ( 575 I think) Eagle claw when I pour my 1/32 oz hair jigs . I prefer the larger hooks myself. I also use a # 2 in my RoadRunner mold too! It gives me a very good hook up with no problems.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Primitivefrn ......

Quote Originally Posted by primitivefrn
    Thanks for input, guess Iam the only guy thst likes bigger hooks 3/0 for crappie only,. I use size 10 eagle claw kahle style for perch and small bullheads.
    I don't even use 3/0 hooks for BASS :D What I do use, in most minnow fishing cases, is a #1 Aberdeen light wire bronze hook. I've yet to have a Crappie straighten one out, even those in the two pound range (and I rarely, if ever, use a net).
    IMHO ........ it's "to each, his own" ... whatever works for you, go for it !! ....... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I've had good luck with a gold #6 size Tru-Turn hook. I seem to have a better hooking percentage with this design than I do with the straight shank design.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always used bronze colored aberdeen wire hooks in 1/0 but wanted to try the tru turn hooks since I have heard alot of good reports on them. I really like 'em but the problem is the largest I could find are # 2's. Now I am having quite a few fish to swallow the hooks in the past three or four fishing trips. If I can find some tru turn's in 1/0 or 2/0 size I'll try 'em again. For now I'm going back to my "regular" hooks in 1/0 size.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always used Tru-turn #6 and #4, red and gold. I can't tell the difference. Most are hooked and I don't have to set the hook Spider rigging. I found some #6 and #4 circle hooks by Owner this weekend in Gulf Shores. We boated over 400# of snapper(pink Crappie?). Has anyone ever used circle hooks with minnows for crappie? I'm going to try them this week on JP Priest (TN).